Implemented Write before registration: attribute guest post to existing account for logged out members.

Alpha1

If a member is logged out and uses the guest reply box to post, because they do not notice that they are logged out. The member may have cleared their cookies and then is logged out without noticing. So they write up a large post, hit reply and then their work is lost. Confused and upset they ask if they can get their post back.

So I suggest for this case, to automatically attribute the post to the members account once they log in and the member login cookie is found.

Here is the experience of @Sal Collaziano who has been using the guest posting addon by @AddonsLab for some time:
I get a lot of members who post as a guest because, for whatever reason, they're not logged in. For example, somebody signs up and posts their first message. People reply - and then they reply - as a guest - because the text input box is there and they don't know realize they're not logged in.

Would it be possible to place a cookie on the user's computer that since they've registered an account - guest posting isn't an option for them - so that they NEED to log in to post?

I have no idea why people log out anyway - but this would save a lot of confusion as people don't know the original poster is responding when it comes through as a guest post...

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If a member is logged out and uses the guest reply box to post, because they do not notice that they are logged out. The member may have cleared their cookies and then is logged out without noticing. So they write up a large post, hit reply and then their work is lost. Confused and upset they ask if they can get their post back.

So I suggest for this case, to automatically attribute the post to the members account once they log in and the member login cookie is found.

Here is the experience of @Sal Collaziano who has been using the guest posting addon by @AddonsLab for some time:
This would be great. Especially in 2020 where people are afraid of cookies. :o :p

The behavior requested in the quote and the behavior you're requesting are different.

However, if a user logs in after writing a post as a guest (and we have a prompt for this on the registration page for exactly that reason), then we do automatically trigger the action that they just tried when they log in.

Top Bottom