Wow!

Josh111

I came across this forum and instantly recognized it as the forum software the Apple Developer Forum uses. It's simple and beautiful. I wish IPB looked this good.

If you add the following features, I will convert my site over to XenForo:
-Blogs
-Gallery. Please don't load it up with useless "features" like IP.Gallery has, like rotating an image or adding notes to an image. It confuses my users and looks like crap.
-Wiki. This is critical. MediaWiki is useless because it gets spammed daily with fake accounts, and I can't connect accounts to IPB. Yeah yeah there is a mod that doesn't work and screwed up my installation of MediaWiki. So no, it isn't supported. I think a Wiki should be built with the same forum software, so everything is consistent.

I'll keep an eye on this software. Please don't bloat it with useless features like topic ratings, and all the garbage that IPB and VBulletin waste time on. I invested an enormous amount of time into IPB and I feel like it was never designed to be anything but a crappy looking photo sharing site. It's extremely hard to design anything that doesn't look like default IPB, and default IPB looks horrible. XenForo looks gorgeous, except for the default colors.
eek.png

I don't care what the cost is. If you provide what I need, I would pay $2000. It's cheaper than hiring someone to keep fixing ****ty broken IPB.

Welcome to xenforo, I hope you buy a license and become a part of the community, you won't regret it.

I don't think though that Apple run this software.. it would be nice if they did though as there are a lot of apple users here, including one of the developers.

While I agree that IPB and vB has a ton of things in them that aren't always 'needed' I think you come across a little harsh with your feelings of them. Remember they both had 10+ years to build and give the users what they wanted and given that, it's understandable that there will be things in it that some users like yourself won't need. In fact I felt refreshed to drop IPB for xF because my community could focus on being a forum once again..

I also find it odd that you want a non bloated software script and then without taking a breathe you want this and this and this before you can switch. Only you know what your community needs and based on that you will have to decide when it's right for you to switch, but while you're doing that please remember that features you don't want might be ones that other do want. A better way to state what you're asking is ask the developers to give you the options to easily tweak, change, template edit, language edit and the ability to add or remove features each site needs.

I think if you really take a hard look at xenforo this is exactly what they are doing. There is already a WP add on, there is already a wiki addon and the system itself is easy to tweak adding or removing features as needed.

Again, welcome to the community.. I hope you're a paying customer soon, as I know you will love it, but while you're deciding, please remember to not be too too harsh on the other platforms out there. They were just adding features as their member base was asking for them.

Jamie

It's simple and beautiful. I wish IPB looked this good.
What I find beautiful is all the AJAX and nice feel to it.
  • Image uploading is awesome.
  • Likes and Alerts are awesome.

NEEDS:

There is a little Blog out there called Wordpress. Wordpress is loved by Google and other search engines. It is SUPER easy to admin. Your site would love Wordpress.
There is a skilled admin / coder making a slick Wordpress theme. XENPRESS
http://tak79.com/
This is a wordpress page - http://tak79.com/xenforo-wordpress-theme/ looks like xenforo eh !

-Gallery. Please don't load it up with useless "features" like IP.Gallery has, like rotating an image or adding notes to an image. It confuses my users and looks like crap.

There are two Galleries being created.
Simple is good.

-Wiki. This is critical. MediaWiki is useless because it gets spammed daily with fake accounts, and I can't connect accounts to IPB. Yeah yeah there is a mod that doesn't work and screwed up my installation of MediaWiki. So no, it isn't supported. I think a Wiki should be built with the same forum software, so everything is consistent.

:) we've talked about that one :)

Welcome to Xenforo.

....and default IPB looks horrible.

Well... at least someone agrees with me then
wink.png
what I have always thought about Invision Power Board. For me IPB was never a serious option to consider, because quite frankly the look&feel /interface design of the package is, well... not quite my cup of tea so to speak. In fact, it's pretty bad. The backend may be technically great (as people tell me, because I have no clue)... but I do have a clue about interfaces and IPB does not excel in that area in any way. Next to vBulletin there was no alternative, that's why I was seriously upset, even shocked when I saw what Internet Brands was doing to the once outstanding vBulletin.

Now we -thank God- have XenForo and it is miles, miles ahead of IPB and even more so vBulletin when it comes to the UI. The outstanding UI of XenForo is one of the main reasons for me to choose XenForo over any other package available today on the market.

I was seriously upset, even shocked when I saw what Internet Brands was doing to the once outstanding vBulletin.
Absolutely - and they wrecked the speed !

Now we -thank God- have XenForo and it is miles, miles ahead of IPB and even more so vBulletin when it comes to the UI. The outstanding UI of XenForo is one of the main reasons for me to choose XenForo over any other package available today on the market.
:) agreed !

Top Bottom