Would XF consider volunteer coders?

AdamD

Not myself I might add, I don't code, heh

But, given the lack of updates of late, due to the stupid lawsuit, I wonder if Xenforo's team would consider recruiting volunteer coders to help keep the product updated?

Perhaps as interns, for coding experience etc.

Would love to see XF thrive, even during these hard times.

No.

They want to create a quality product that matches their vision in their own time. They currently don't have the time (through one reason or another). That means they're hardly going to have the time to recruit, train and work with a load of "interns" and then quality control their work - which if they're at a stage where they would like coding experience I would expect this to probably take longer than just doing it themselves properly.

It would work great for an Open Source project - not a commercial product that's trying to compete in a competitive marketplace.

True, but what about fixing bugs?
I suppose that too, would need QC work, was just thinking of ways to keep the software updated.
It's just sad to see the product not going anywhere because of the lawsuit.

The amount of bugs being reported is incredibly low, and the ones that do get reported are so minor.

But yeah, as DD says, any major/security bugs would be actioned as quickly as the swfupload library exploit was - and that bug wasn't even in their own software.

I personally wouldn't like any old tom **** or harry start adding to the core especially interns aka outsourcing to china. Xenforo is to a high standard I'd prefer it was kept that way.

That being said, digitalpoint would be a great addition to the development team.

I think volunteer should be able to add/modify to xenforo as resources but not miss with the offical script.

I personally wouldn't like any old tom **** or harry start adding to the core especially interns aka outsourcing to china. Xenforo is to a high standard I'd prefer it was kept that way.

That being said, digitalpoint would be a great addition to the development team.
Heh, DP would be a great addition to any development team.

XenForo would make for an interesting Open Source project, but for now it's doing just fine as a paid product. People forget the last update was only 2 1/2 months ago. Hardly what I would call a dead project and we all know the development is still on going.

XenForo is also very secure :)

XenForo would make for an interesting Open Source project, but for now it's doing just fine as a paid product. People forget the last update was only 2 1/2 months ago. Hardly what I would call a dead project and we all know the development is still on going.

XenForo is also very secure :)

If it is still being developed it's going at a super sloooow rate. Just look at the time between releases in the past as compared to know.

There's definitely a 1.2 somewhere out there...

One of the closed Bug Reports says "This is fixed in version 1.2" and there was of course the screenshots of the Stop Forum Spam integration :)

Read The Mythical Man Month if you get a chance. It's been understood for decades that throwing more coders at a project reduces quality and can actually make it take longer.

They best thing people can do is give KAM room to breathe, and keep buying new licenses as you need them, renew existing licenses when you need support or an upgrade.

Personally, I've recently renewed two licenses so I could take advantage of a great add-on (XenTags) and will be buying license #7 tonight to convert one of my remaining vBulletin sites later this month.

Top Bottom