Working links to searches?

Chromaniac

I never understood why I cannot have working links to searches on vBulletin.

It seems to be the same here.

I conduct a search and I get a URL that works only for a short period of time.

http://xenforo.com/community/search/121982/

I am too used to searches on CMS solutions like WordPress where I can have a permanent link to specific searches.

What is the technological limitation here?

ah cool. so searches with queries would get a link that would always work? that should be fine by me. thanks!

but you can always have a system where search parameters like member name and forum's searched for can be included in the URL and a new search can be performed as well?

i never got the idea of caching searched results. it is not like a lot of members would conduct the same search in a short period of time!

on vB i have noticed that during searches, you do not get recently posted items in results... from the backend options i realize that vB creates a separate database for searching only that is updated at a time interval. it is not real time...

so even if you are searching that specific database... why cache the search results themselves?

i never got the idea of caching searched results. it is not like a lot of members would conduct the same search in a short period of time!
Click into a thread, press back - there's a reasonable chance that it will redo the search (though some of that depends on how browsers want to handle it). With MySQL full text search, searches can take several seconds and be very server intensive.

Top Bottom