Working for free pays i guess

TPerry

I just got through doing some more work at my doctors office on their computers (I provide tech support to them for free). The office manager happened to mention that they were trying to figure out what to do with the older equipment they had upstairs. I told 'em that they should donate them to the employees since they don't get any tax write off because of the way their office business is structured. I agreed to wipe 13 computers for them and re-install the OS's (no biggy for me to do)...
AND
I scored a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with dual Xeon 2.6Ghz processors, 48GB memory and 8 400GB SAS drives on a RAID card.... for FREE!!!!!!! :cool:
Setting Debian up on it right now. :D

I just got through doing some more work at my doctors office on their computers (I provide tech support to them for free). The office manager happened to mention that they were trying to figure out what to do with the older equipment they had upstairs. I told 'em that they should donate them to the employees since they don't get any tax write off because of the way their office business is structured. I agreed to wipe 13 computers for them and re-install the OS's (no biggy for me to do)...
AND
I scored a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with dual Xeon 2.6Ghz processors, 48GB memory and 8 400GB SAS drives on a RAID card.... for FREE!!!!!!! :cool:
Setting Debian up on it right now. :D

(y)

You'd be surprised on what people are willing to give you and part with when you do something for free or at least offer the opportunity of free.

XenForo is good example.... I've gotten 2 pizza's so far by simply doing something for someone else. Didn't ask for anything in return & "poof" pizza man at the door.

(Of course its started out as a joke for someone else & its repeated now).

I have to ask... why does your doctor's office have a server like that laying around? :)

Over the last year or so we put in 2 R420 dual E5-2470's one with 128GB memory and the other 64GB, 1 16TB storage, the other 8TB storage. We are also getting a new 720 in shortly.
I asked 'em if we could put the old one back online and let me have one of the new ones.... they said no. :ROFLMAO:
The server that I got was actually about 6 years old. I spec'd it when they first started going with server based system because they wanted something that would last awhile. As time went on we added memory and storage capacity to it. I've got to go back tomorrow and pick up the external TBU for it. I knew I had forgotten something.

Last edited:
Still confused as to why a dr office would need servers like this though.

They are REAL heavy on SQL/Imagery. All radiological equipment is tied into it and images stored on the servers. Same way with the front office and exam room softwares... not to mention they use SBS for FAX, and a few other processes (all old paper related information has been scanned in). They just like to have something they are assured will handle the job. Once before they got undersold servers and paid for it (literally - they had to buy new equipment in about a year).

Patient records and the like maybe.

Exactly.. all records are stored in Windows SQL servers (and they replicate between the two), with the big boy doing mainly image storage. You'd be shocked at how much space x-rays will take up.
The current software is not the most "efficient" in the world and is a resource hog. We are also looking at changing out software to a web server based system with the back end remaining MS SQL.

Last edited:
Still confused as to why a dr office would need servers like this though.
It's not a 1 Dr. office.... it's more like a clinic. There are 34 exam rooms, 3 Dr's and 2 PA's.... along with the assorted nurses and then 6 front office personnel, 3 in billing and they are getting another group in that will be working out of the office. Heck, we are about to test the waters with the Surface Pro's (as the software they use is strictly Windows based) for the Dr's and PA's, as well as the nurses. Going to hit 1 Dr, his PA and his nurses first (and he's the most likely to break something) - as well as me getting one for "support" purposes. :p

Hell, you need those servers just to speed up SQL Server to make it fast enough to use.

Tell me about it.. I'd love to be able for us to find a software that would allow Percona on the backend, but unluckily most of what they are looking at is MickeySoft centric. :cry:
My wife is going to kill me when she gets home and see's that honking big server sitting in the computer room and sounding like a 747 when she firsts starts up. :ROFLMAO:

Then you could host out of your own house with that new server you got.

:D Great minds think alike.
They use DSL at the office for their internet right now, but with the number of people using it, it is becoming overloaded. We are also discussing pulling a T-3 or OC-1 into the office. Have to get some prices for them - sticker shock will probably kill 'em tho' as they just layed out a small chunk of change on new switches, KVM, the 720 that will be coming in. The big boss (the wife, who is also a Dr.) doesn't like spending money - but she has learned that you have to pay to play.
I think I'll just try and convince them to break down and get at least an OC-3, then I can "store" my server there. :whistle:

:D Great minds think alike.
They use DSL at the office for their internet right now, but with the number of people using it, it is becoming overloaded. We are also discussing pulling a T-3 or OC-1 into the office. Have to get some prices for them - sticker shock will probably kill 'em tho' as they just layed out a small chunk of change on new switches, KVM, the 720 that will be coming in. The big boss (the wife, who is also a Dr.) doesn't like spending money - but she has learned that you have to pay to play.
I think I'll just try and convince them to break down and get at least an OC-3, then I can "store" my server there. :whistle:

Sounds like a plan. Set up a little server farm that they don't know about........

Sounds like a plan. Set up a little server farm that they don't know about........

Oh, I'd let 'em know about it... they are "friends of the family", and wouldn't mind at all. Not only do I do their office related stuff, but I also keep up their system at their house. Last Christmas they had a personal check written out for me in the 4 digit range (alright, half way to the 5 digit to be more exact), but told 'em thanks, but no thanks - I did the work because they were "family".

Oh, I'd let 'em know about it... they are "friends of the family", and wouldn't mind at all. Not only do I do their office related stuff, but I also keep up their system at their house. Last Christmas they had a personal check written out for me in the 4 digit range (alright, half way to the 5 digit to be more exact), but told 'em thanks, but no thanks - I did the work because they were "family".

That's cool. Maybe you can convince them then.

Top Bottom