WordPress now powers over 50 million websites

Digital Doctor

In a milestone event, free and open source blogging platform WordPress has surpassed 50,000,000 installations on websites, and this number is increasing all the time. This milestone comes just over eight years since the initial release of the web software, and just seven days after the release of WordPress 3.2, which has seen 1.2 million downloads so far (and growing at five downloads per second).

continue reading at:
http://www.neowin.net/news/wordpress-now-powers-over-50-million-websites

Note: bbpress is a marginal forum. xenforo should strive to be the go to forum for a serious Wordpress site.

whi
Xenforo has a different target, which is multiple/community based interaction.
Which normally goes hand in hand with a CMS of some kind.

I agree with Digital Doctor, with the situation Xenforo is in currently being new and just a basic forum it would benefit from positioning itself as a de facto choice for wordpress, joomla etc users that want to add a forum to their site.

whi
Which normally goes hand in hand with a CMS of some kind.

I agree with Digital Doctor, with the situation Xenforo is in currently being new and just a basic forum it would benefit from positioning itself as a de facto choice for wordpress, joomla etc users that want to add a forum to their site.

The two are completely different animals. They are not alternatives. You can make a forum out of Wordpress but it will never be as suited to the task as Xenforo. In reverse, XF is not made to be a publishing tool by a publisher.

I find that people don't understand what the term "CMS" means. Everything online is a CMS. Their best use is a subcategory and they are frequently not interchangeable. Different tools manage content differently and designed to be more effective in one aspect over another.

Wordpress is the software of choice to create one way SEO-based pyramids, whether they work or not, among other marginal and questionable uses. Self involvement is all that matters. Xenforo has a different target, which is multiple/community based interaction.
The two are completely different animals. They are not alternatives. You can make a forum out of Wordpress but it will never be as suited to the task as Xenforo. In reverse, XF is not made to be a publishing tool by a publisher.

My diagnosis to this is Xenforo + Wordpress is a powerful combination, each with unique strengths.
vBulletin, nor IPB, nor any other forum software has integrated itself well enough into Wordpress such that there is a stand out forum to be considered the "best" forum for Wordpress. Xenforo should strive for this. Possibly vBulletin may have thought it could "outdo" Wordpress with it's offering. Well .... that sure didn't happen.

Basic bridging with Wordpress (login, avatar) + Xenforo styles that fit will with Wordpress (maybe even a XenWPCSS approach) + easy Wordpress-like install = Win for Xenforo.

My diagnosis to this is Xenforo + Wordpress is a powerful combination, each with unique strengths.
vBulletin, nor IPB, nor any other forum software has integrated itself well enough into Wordpress such that there is a stand out forum to be considered the "best" forum for Wordpress. Xenforo should strive for this. Possibly vBulletin may have thought it could "outdo" Wordpress with it's offering. Well .... that sure didn't happen.
Agreed, and my point is that it's not even about strength but about complete focus. It's like creating an automobile - all are vehicles but one is designed for racing, the other for fuel efficiency economy, another is larger to transport an entire family. They all have four wheels and go but designed to do very different things and not meant to perform the job of the other - although each can be modified to do so to varying degrees of success.

Regarding VB CMS, it's a cruel joke. It's something thrown in to appease people who pre-paid for the product that probably was intended to be improved upon but was never touched again in two years. I never used it and am glad that I decided not to bother. It's more of an article manager for the forum but it doesn't even come close to doing that well (which vbadvanced does so much better.) I'm about to launch three sites that will use XenForo and a CMS, either WP or the built in one that is an article manager but looks darned awesome.

Basic bridging with Wordpress (login, avatar) + Xenforo styles that fit will with Wordpress (maybe even a XenWPCSS approach) + easy Wordpress-like install = Win for Xenforo.
The key is really a good integration of the database/signup process as well as cookie management. Styles can all be created later. As long as user data can be synchronized, leave it to the website owner to finish the design.

I find that people don't understand what the term "CMS" means. Everything online is a CMS. Their best use is a subcategory and they are frequently not interchangeable. Different tools manage content differently and designed to be more effective in one aspect over another.

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make. I know they are both different, they both meet different needs of the web site owner, but most community websites will need both meeting.

The key is really a good integration of the database/signup process as well as cookie management.

That's the point I was trying to make, if xenforo had a really good supported integration with wordpress at least, and if possible others like Joomla they would make themselfs the de facto choice over IPB or VB for anyone that is running wordpress currently and looking to add a forum to the site.

Ok when will some developer come out with a fully integrated bridge for Wordpress and Xenforo (integrated commenting system, avatars, profile etc.). There is a goldmine here if only someone with the technical abilities to make it happen, would realize it!

Ok when will some developer come out with a fully integrated bridge for Wordpress and Xenforo (integrated commenting system, avatars, profile etc.). There is a goldmine here if only someone with the technical abilities to make it happen, would realize it!
xfrocks should do it. It is $$/year, distributed by and paid through xenforo.com.
Xenforo.com and xfrocks would support it @ xenforo.com
Core sales of Xenforo would benefit.
Everybody is happy.

xfrocks should do it. It is $$/year, distributed by and paid through xenforo.com.
Xenforo.com and xfrocks would support it @ xenforo.com
Core sales of Xenforo would benefit.
Everybody is happy.
Thats well and good but hes not updated the plugin thats already been made and not answered anyones qustions in regards to it.

Thats well and good but hes not updated the plugin thats already been made and not answered anyones qustions in regards to it.
Well, I think things would change quickly under the terms I set out ^^.
xfrocks is quite busy to support a Free (Pay nothing, Expect Nothing) Addon paridgam. This same failed method for Addons for countless software products should expect nothing other than failure.

Regardless whether that is the case or not, Having a supported bridge is opening up a large market of potential customers for xenforo.

The key is really a good integration of the database/signup process as well as cookie management. Styles can all be created later. As long as user data can be synchronized, leave it to the website owner to finish the design.

Completely agree. This isn't enterprise software....if you have needs it's going to cost money.

Top Bottom