[WMTech] Double Post Merge

[WMTech] Double Post Merge 1.3.1

No permission to download
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
I think we should exclude the thread starter for its consecutive first post. There are two ways:
If for a time after the first posts, the thread started does not make new posts, next posts will be affected by double post merge as normal.
The thread starter's posts will not merged for a time allowed, for example 60 minutes.
If thread started is making such a long article, and the length of the article exceeds the length of a message allowed, the thread starter needs to separate the article. If you can make a condition that if length of the first message is above a limit, like 500 chars, the next post will not be merged if the next post's length exceeds a limit.
I will be adding a maximum message length limit beyond which the post will not be merged
The maximum number of characters beyond which the post will not be merged. This includes BB code. Use 0 to disable the limit.
Please note that even if the message does not go above this limit, should the newly merged post length end up being over the default length (set in the 'messages' option group), the post will not be merged.

Now, I was going to add a time limit for the exemption of the thread author from the second post but I'm now wondering if this is really necessary when we already have the length limit described above (which is not limited to thread author only)?

I will be adding a maximum message length limit beyond which the post will not be merged
The maximum number of characters beyond which the post will not be merged. This includes BB code. Use 0 to disable the limit.
Please note that even if the message does not go above this limit, should the newly merged post length end up being over the default length (set in the 'messages' option group), the post will not be merged.

Now, I was going to add a time limit for the exemption of the thread author from the second post but I'm now wondering if this is really necessary when we already have the length limit described above (which is not limited to thread author only)?
I think the time limit is necessary because some posts for special purpose maybe under the length limit but still should not be merged :).

Off topic: Does anyone know what addon that thread starter can make the time of publishing? I remembered there is but I still cannot find it.

- I tried to set the post/bump limit globally for Registered members to 60/60. Then I set 1/0 for moderators. It seems that my moderators are still subject to the 60/60 setup. Is this intended (check for Primary user group only)?
There does not seem to be an easy way to reverse the priority order on permissions and since I am not willing to support direct changes to core code, I'm afraid you are stuck with the current system. What you could do is set the Double Post time limit on all primary groups to zero and then create two new secondary groups with 5 and 60 minutes respectively. You then assign one group to the 'registered' user group and the other to the 'moderating' group. That should give you the desired effect.

Very nice addon. Any chance of mimicking XenForo's default behaviour for sending out alerts when using the bump thread option? For example, assuming a user is watching a thread, alerts are only sent when that specific user's read date of the thread is greater than that of the previous post. Basically you only get sent one alert after you posted and no more until you actually go and read the thread again reducing multiple alerts.

Currently with the bump thread option turned on, especially when setting to unlimited you can get many alerts depending on how many times the person merges their post. So if you've just read a post that you're also watching and for whatever reason a user makes 5 post merges, you'll be getting 5 alerts. You could turn down the bump time to potentially reduce a few extra alerts, but then wouldn't be able to have it bump each time.

There does not seem to be an easy way to reverse the priority order on permissions and since I am not willing to support direct changes to core code, I'm afraid you are stuck with the current system. What you could do is set the Double Post time limit on all primary groups to zero and then create two new secondary groups with 5 and 60 minutes respectively. You then assign one group to the 'registered' user group and the other to the 'moderating' group. That should give you the desired effect.
Is there a possibility to modify permissions structure from bump permission timing (number) only, to two Bump ability (yes/no) and Bump timing (number) permissions?

Currently with the bump thread option turned on, especially when setting to unlimited you can get many alerts depending on how many times the person merges their post. So if you've just read a post that you're also watching and for whatever reason a user makes 5 post merges, you'll be getting 5 alerts. You could turn down the bump time to potentially reduce a few extra alerts, but then wouldn't be able to have it bump each time.
It only happens on the first post of the thread but will fix that.
Is there a possibility to modify permissions structure from bump permission timing (number) only, to two Bump ability (yes/no) and Bump timing (number) permissions?
Not sure what you mean. Setting it to zero (0) means it will never bump which is the same as your 'no'.

It only happens on the first post of the thread but will fix that.
Hmm, I'm able to reproduce for any post as long as I've read the thread just before they've posted, but if you're able to fix it, then it's all good.

The other thing I just noticed playing around was that the original timestamp of the post is overwritten when allowing bumping. I guess this is necessary since the posts are ordered by the timestamp in descending order. This doesn't matter too much if the post merge was just a few minutes or so apart, but if many hours, or even days, depending on what you set it to, knowing the original time of the post can be helpful. Maybe have text such as "Originally posted @ x" prepended/appended on the post if it was merged and bumped? Not sure if that would be the best option though as it might be a tiny bit inconsistent.

I don't understand.
As long as the user's thread_read_date is newer than the 2nd newest post's post_date of that thread then an alert will be sent. So even if it's not the first post of the thread, you can still trigger multiple alerts (whether it's the first post, or the 10th post) if you've read the watched thread just before another user double posts.

Not sure what you mean. Setting it to zero (0) means it will never bump which is the same as your 'no'.
I wrote "Bump" but thought "Merge".
With a "Yes/No" additional permission, we would be able to at least "revoke" the automatic merger in superior Groups.

Syndol updated Double Post Merge with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.2

What's new:
  • Added a message length limit beyond which a post will not be double merged. The value is set via the options page.
  • Added an option to exempt the thread author from the double post merge when submitting the second post of the thread, either permanently or within X minutes. The value is set via the options page.
  • Added an option to include the original post date when a merge 'bumps' the thread for the first time.
  • Fixed multiple 'Thread Watch' alerts.
Upgrade...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've just installed version 1.0.2, and I am really appreciate that you make all my ideas come true. By the way, about this thing "Should Double Post Rules apply to the Second Post of a Thread?". I think this should be "Should first posts by thread author be applied Double Post Rules?" I think that just the second post is not advanced enough, and number of posts not be applied should be specified for being more useful.

By the way, excellent product. Thanks for making this.

Just wanted to confirm the alerts are working perfectly now and just how I wanted them. Thanks for implementing the suggestions! :)

Hey Syndol, after updating to version 1.0.2 my merge notices do not include the timestamp. It seems the {timeStamp} isn't being parsed? Any ideas?

Is the {timeStamp} still present in the tag text input box on the options page?
If so, ensure the style properties for the time stamp are also OK (doublePostTimeStamp).

Is the {timeStamp} still present in the tag text input box on the options page?
If so, ensure the style properties for the time stamp are also OK (doublePostTimeStamp).
Both seem okay. I guess I can try to uninstall and reinstall, it might be a cache issue because I run APC with apc.stat=0 but I've flushed the cache with no luck.

works great but I may have found a bug ...

After upgrading this addon few user have reported threads that returns "Connection was reset" error. After hitting refresh button again and again few threads works but some are still unaccessable.... I m going to PM you a thread url that does not work with addon enabled. but thread shows fine if I disable the addon..

There is no way I m permanently disabling this.. as this is much needed feature for me. So please help me resolve this.
Thanks

Top Bottom