[WMTech] Double Post Merge

[WMTech] Double Post Merge 1.3.1

No permission to download
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Hello @Syndol

Option to exempt the thread author from the double post merge when submitting the second post of the thread, either permanently or within X minutes.
Is there any way this can be changed to allow up to X reserved posts, rather than just 1?

People on my site generally want anywhere between 2 and 5 'reserved' posts and at the moment, they're unable to do that, since this mod will merge any posts after the second post.

Would this be a simple edit or something that would require a lot of work to do? Hopefully you understand what I'm after.

Thanks in advance!

@AGP - I assume that by 'reserve' you mean that the thread author replies before anyone else manages to. This add-on does not prevent people from replying if the thread has less than x posts.
The only way to not double post on the first 5 posts would be to check that the last 4 posts of the thread (when it has less than 5 in total) were all created by the thread author.
If you do not mind the extra query to fetch the previous posts and are willing to edit one of the files, then start a conversation with me and I'll tell you what changes are necessary.

From the main resource page:
Since permissions are prioritized highest to lowest, depending on your user group hierarchy, you may need to create and assign a secondary user group that specifically includes the Double Post time limits. Simply set all Double Post limits on your primary groups to zero and then assign the new secondary group to desired primary groups.

It's rare, but sometimes posts merge and the post goes through but the user gets this error message:

The following error occurred:
Please enter a value using 25 characters or fewer.

Edit: It happens more often when attachments are involved, especially if the previous post also contains attachment and the new post also contains attachment, they post goes through, its merged, but the error pops up. On refresh you see the post as usual.

I'm unable to reproduce such an error. I'm afraid your error does not provide enough information. I can only guess that it is due to a very long content_type but have no idea why or how.
If you can reproduce this, then please provide info on how to do so.
Are you using the latest version of the add-on and do you have any other add-ons that affect thread posts.

It's rare, but sometimes posts merge and the post goes through but the user gets this error message:

Edit: It happens more often when attachments are involved, especially if the previous post also contains attachment and the new post also contains attachment, they post goes through, its merged, but the error pops up. On refresh you see the post as usual.
I have also encounter this.
Looks like a conflict with this addon: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/minimum-post-length-enforcer.1792/

@RoldanLT - I've installed the above add-on but am unable to duplicate such an error. Please note that the minimum post add-on's error message is intentional but is different from the original error mentioned by @Divvens .

I'm unable to reproduce such an error. I'm afraid your error does not provide enough information. I can only guess that it is due to a very long content_type but have no idea why or how.
If you can reproduce this, then please provide info on how to do so.
Are you using the latest version of the add-on and do you have any other add-ons that affect thread posts.
These are my other add-ons:
AddOns.webp

It doesn't really occur often, I'll try to reproduce it and mention steps by steps method.

Edit: Yes, using latest version of this add-on.

Hi @Syndol ,

Unfortunately, one of my users encountered the same problem today with the same pattern @Divvens described.
A user commented in a thread and added only attachments to his message (12 images if it matters). Then he replied again with just a text post. Then on the third reply (both previous messages were merged) when he tried to add an attachment or text, he got the exact error above.

Just to note, I also don't have this add-on:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/minimum-post-length-enforcer.1792/

Thanks.

Reactions: rdn
I'm still unable to cause such an error.
Do you have any attachment add-ons installed?
Could you try following the above steps on a forum with just this add-on installed and see if you get the error.

Hey I just installed the plugin and it seems to work so far (except for one case), and it looks very great after the posts are merged! :)

The one exception:
A few moments ago I had a user which didn't get his posts merged. In these posts, he mentioned to be not at home; could it be, that Tapatalk-posts are not merged? and if it does, can you fix it? :/

@chunkie - Hi, I'm afraid I do not use TapaTalk so cannot give you a definitive answer but since they seem to overwrite many XF functions then that is a strong possibility. No "fix" planned on my end.

Tapatalk does not play well with a few apps. For instance I had to have Waindigo write a work-around for his "Mandatory Fields" addon in order to allow a Tapatalk user to completely bypass the add-on, or else TT users were blocked and got an error screen, and my server error logs got all filled up.

I would say if you don't get error logs due to tapatalk users and this addon, just be happy and let it be, you're lucky it works.

Top Bottom