Wisdom Teeth Removal Experiences

Amaury

I'm just going to copy and paste the Facebook post I just made. I don't feel like typing it up again.

Amaury on Facebook said:
I have an appointment to get at least my bottom wisdom teeth removed on November 20, though I hope we can just make it all of them just to get it over with completely.

Anyone with experience? Did you do it locally and only get numbed or did you go to an oral surgeon and get put under? If the former, how bad was the actual operation? That's what I'm more nervous about than anything -- I know I'll be dealing with after pain, so that part, surprisingly, isn't really bothering me.

I had it done in the military, before deployment. Not the best place to have it done.

The evening after they were taken out, I was eating Chili Cheese Burrito's from Taco Bell. I also smoked like a champ. Yes, I had dry sockets, but I dealt with it. I didn't use pain pills, I took a couple of Aleve and all was well.

Yes, it is an uncomfortable feeling when they are pulling them, but nothing major. I was awake the entire time. Took maybe 10 minutes for the anesthetic to take, then 4 minutes to remove them.

I have had several teeth removed including 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth.

All locally.

It really isn't as bad as you'd think. The local anaesthetic is powerful enough that you won't feel any pain. You can feel the pressure of them pulling etc. but it isn't painful. Afterwards, with some mild painkillers that should hold off any pain. Your tongue will be instantly attracted to poking around in this new hole in your gums that wasn't there before.

No need to go to a surgeon unless needed. I have had two removed, both done by dentists, but both needed to be broken to be withdrawn. You will be in pain for one or two days after, but it is not a major deal. The worst part is enduring the sounds if it is a tricky tooth to remove. I have to say, the uncomfort you have to endure if you do not remove a wisdom tooth is way worse than the temporary one.

I had all 4 of mine done. Surgery was quick, sleeping gas was AWESOME. Once you wake up you have a little bit of nausea, but it goes away quickly. The healing process is a crap shoot. My dad had them done and he had dry sockets (painful), while I had 0 pain. Just stick to the plan your doctor gives you. My doctor said I was abnormal because my healing process was the fastest he had ever seen. I thought I maybe had super powers, but nope...just abnormal.

I had all 4 done at once.

Laid back on chair, received nitrous, became very happy, they put IV in my arm but I was high and didn't care, went under, woke up and it was done, cheeks swollen for a while, no pain due to the meds they gave me.

My one piece of advice would be to remember not to suck anything through a straw until you are healed. I forgot and sucked on a milkshake. It caused a lot of pain in the wounds. Fortunately my clots didn't come out from it. If you lose your clots it's bad.

I had to go to surgeon because my wisdom teeth grew inside of my gums. I can't remember the surgery since I was put under but I do remember being all emotional after waking up. I also felt like there was a giant hole in my lip. After a few hours all was well.

I had all 4 done at once.

Laid back on chair, received nitrous, became very happy, they put IV in my arm but I was high and didn't care, went under, woke up and it was done, cheeks swollen for a while, no pain due to the meds they gave me.

My one piece of advice would be to remember not to suck anything through a straw until you are healed. I forgot and sucked on a milkshake. It caused a lot of pain in the wounds. Fortunately my clots didn't come out from it. If you lose your clots it's bad.

Yeah, that -- the clots breaking -- happened to my mom when she had hers done a very long time ago and it really hurt like hell because the air was able to get done to the bones there.

As for straws, isn't that what you're supposed to do? You can't eat because you don't want food chunks / crumbs getting in there while they're healing. That's what a friend told me.

Last edited:
I just had one removed a few weeks ago. My dentist referred me to another oral surgeon because they have more experience.

1) Got a shot
2) He waited 3 minutes for the area to get numb
3) Pull out the wisdom tooth in 15 seconds

I didn't feel any pain and it was over before I knew it. He sewed up the skin to stop the bleeding and I was on my way. The thread fell out two days later as it's designed to dissolve.

I had all four of mine removed. They were impacted too so they put me to sleep... done in 15 minutes (everything). The pain wasn't bad and mostly went away in 3 days. Food would get stuck in the holes for a few weeks which was annoying and hurt to clean out.

Make sure you don't have any crowns near your wisdom teeth. I had a gold one slide off the tooth next to it and down my throat! The dentist told me to bring it back in when it "re-surfaced" and melt it down to make a new one. It never showed-up and I threatened to sue and he made me a new tooth anyway. Who knows where the gold tooth went. I wasn't about to go fishing around for it in the bathroom. Gross! Plus when they are pulling your teeth out it sounds like chicken bones snapping and you can hear the crackle of the tooth giving way and splintering. They grab your head and they really pull hard. It's all manual and very physical. A horrifying experience to say the least! I know you probably don't want to hear this but I'm just warning you about my experience. Be careful. Good luck!

What a bunch of wimps.. Novacain or getting put to sleep.. Whatever happened to knotting it with some fishing line and slamming the front door shut to extract the tooth?

Did it when I was in high school, dad and mom said, all 4 of them must go, only two of them were giving me problems, but they decided it was best to get rid of them all at once.
I was soar for few days, but within 2-3 days I was able to eat solid food np.

Never had an issue with my wisdom teeth. *Knocks on wood* The only big tooth incident I had was a cleaning of a tiny cavity back in 2006 that got filled and a porcelain cap put on for future protection. Pretty shocking since I was a sweets type of person when I was younger. Pretty sure I'd read somewhere after a certain age they won't impact or cause issues.

Not to scare ya, but I had all four of mine removed. They generally like doing it a young age, however, my wisdom were causing issues with my otherwise perfect dental record. So I was put into surgery, they knocked me out.

I had a bad case because the wisdom teeth were all severely impacted (I believe that's the word they use), so my surgery was pretty long, & recovery was longer than average, but overall, it was pretty easy. Although there was an issue with the gas they used to put me under, so I didn't wake up when they thought I should, and I was so out of it, I wasn't able to walk.

I mean, sure, there was a lot of blood and I was an idiot and right after the surgery (after I was able to walk) I went out to a party, (horrible idea, but that's another story).

So even for the worst case (me), it wasn't that bad. I've also had my tonsils removed, that one was a *****. Just don't push yourself and it will all be good.

I got seven creamy tomato cans of soup on the go and ten yogurts during grocery shopping today, which I don't usually do, in preparation since I won't be able to eat solids for, I think, a week. We've also got oatmeal, cream of wheat and applesauce, though we already had those. Wednesday is the day!

They're not sure if they'll have time to get them all, though, so they've scheduled me to get my tops removed on December 3, though I'm hoping they can get them all on Wednesday so I can just get it over with.

As for the operation, I'm going to bring my PSP and headphones. I know I can't play a game, but I'll start a mission on a game and listen to its music and close my eyes to drown out the sound of the operation.

Top Bottom