Will you be optimizing images to webp when 2.3 is released?

Will you optimize for webp with XF 2.3?

• Total voters
he said roughly 10 percent of his visitors are using mac os 10.15 (which surprised him).
It surprises me when I find users on 5 year old OS/browsers but usually it's because they have some piece of Software that needs the old browser. On user I have has an old version of Photoshop, and won't upgrade the OS because then he'd have to get a subscription. I suggested Affinity Photo to solve the issue (it's better than PS anyway)

Part of my problem is that by you find out how many users are not able;e to view webp, it's too late to revert database. It would be good if there was a way to reinstate the optimised images.

it's kind of a shame that apple delivered webp update as part of an os update. and users on older os cannot get an updated version of safari to gain the benefits. on the other hand, they also delivered avif and jxl support recently which is fantastic. by the time google gives up and support jxl, majority of apple device users should have jxl support and one can hope to move on to it from webp.

it's kind of a shame that apple delivered webp update as part of an os update. and users on older os cannot get an updated version of safari to gain the benefits. on the other hand, they also delivered avif and jxl support recently which is fantastic. by the time google gives up and support jxl, majority of apple device users should have jxl support and one can hope to move on to it from webp.
Apple delivers any and every Safari update as an OS update. That's one of the biggest reasons Safari is now the IE of the web world.

well at least they support a lot of legacy hardware for a pretty long time. so that's nice. i am not looking forward to upgrading to W11 next year. kind of offtopic here.

anyways. i did ask in the 2.3 discussion thread about this and one guy did confirm. my bug report was marked as can't reproduce which is alright.

if possible, can folks here with 2.3 beta installs test if webp conversion of profile banners and avatars works after upgrading a 2.2 install to 2.3 with existing data? it didn't for me. attachment conversion did work and images were converted. xenforo continues to use jpg extension for avatars so one would need to download them from ftp to see if the file is indeed webp or jpg/png. bug report here.

On user I have has an old version of Photoshop, and won't upgrade the OS because then he'd have to get a subscription.
Part of my problem is that by you find out how many users are not able;e to view webp, it's too late to revert database. It would be good if there was a way to reinstate the optimised images.

he did mention that several of them were probably using older versions of astronomy software that may not be supported under new versions so that makes some sense.
and that second is why he is not interested in using webp until a few more years has passed and a larger number of his site visitors can see them.
since his site is a large part of images it would hurt it.

well at least they support a lot of legacy hardware for a pretty long time. so that's nice. i am not looking forward to upgrading to W11 next year. kind of offtopic here.
i have a friend who is still using a 2013 era mac mini. his comment was it works fine and has only needed the fan replaced twice and the drive to an ssd for speed and more storage so why should he spend more money on something that was only slightly improved. he also is on disability so does not have an excess of money to spend. he realized that when he got into the apple world he was living amongst planned obsolescence.
i am sure that there are many in the same boat that do not have access to enough funds to purchase new and have to make do with older equipment.

i think a major point of this discussion is a good one as it points out that sometimes it is not a great idea to rush into something just because it is offered and you can. it can impact you in ways you may not expect.

sorry can not help with the 2.3 work as my license expired recently and even though the beta was out then i doubt i can access it not to mention the guy hosting my site said zero beta software.

Last edited:
Until I get to do some testing on a stable test release, hard to say how I will deploy/use various features.
Exactly my thoughts. However I have done webp images now on my live site and got a few complaints about missing images. Do these are users with old versions of Safari

Top Bottom