Will you be optimizing images to webp when 2.3 is released?

Will you optimize for webp with XF 2.3?

• Total voters

Mr Lucky

I think there may be still quite a few members with old versions of Safari (e.g. still using Mojave) so am not sure. I would like to optimize but maybe it is too soon?

Last edited:
Until I get to do some testing on a stable test release, hard to say how I will deploy/use various features.

on my site probably if i decide to renew my license.
on site i am staff on most likely not as he prefers the jpeg format as it is easier for users to create backgrounds from that format he says.

No, i've already optimized all my images and they are light weight enough.

Long story short is that if i download a webp to my pc, i can't view it in standard tools (photos, paint, etc). That makes the image pretty useless to my users from an offline perspective. Some may think that is a perk, but since i serve reference materials mostly, not having the ability to view offline is a big hinder.

in a few years when windows 12/etc support it better natively, i'll consider it. it's not worth the few KB.

Ideally, i'll use cloudflare image processing to serve multiple image sizes depending on device.... but that costs money and there's little/no ROI in it for me right now.

I probably will, since I'm currently on shared hosting (can't afford anything more right now) and I can't install custom ffmpeg stuff, image optimizer addon, etc.

I probably will, since I'm currently on shared hosting (can't afford anything more right now) and I can't install custom ffmpeg stuff, image optimizer addon, etc.
I'm thinking more of a user POV here. Yes saving disk space is a plus (I'm also on a shared server) but I wonder how many users on Mojave with Safari are just going to get a broken site. Until they are commanded to upgrade or use a different browser.

I'm thinking more of a user POV here. Yes saving disk space is a plus (I'm also on a shared server) but I wonder how many users on Mojave with Safari are just going to get a broken site. Until they are commanded to upgrade or use a different browser.
True, but according to KeyCDN, 96% or so of devices support webp. IMO, I'd say 95% or higher is pretty much good to go.

Yes, if I don't hear any horror stories from people who've done it. I'm gonna wait a while, for sure.

Long story short is that if i download a webp to my pc, i can't view it in standard tools (photos, paint, etc).
from what tracy said this was his big issue with it being only webp.
apparently you can change the file name as you download it or something and it is supposed to work but he said that was more work than he wanted his users to have to go through since he already optimizes the images using a plug in in the format he would rather use.

True, but according to KeyCDN, 96% or so of devices support webp. IMO, I'd say 95% or higher is pretty much good to go.
not if a large part of your user base lives iin that 5% that does not.
is not that one of the arguments on why this program does not require a higher level of currently supported php to run on?

5% doesn’t quite seem small enough to me. Or what if it is just one or two very key members. That is what concerns me.

Last edited:
I use externally hosted resmush.it through the old themehouse plugin. i don't believe you can buy that one anymore though....

I use externally hosted resmush.it through the old themehouse plugin. i don't believe you can buy that one anymore though....
That would require another subscription for them to compress, right? Couldn't afford that in the first place. I run my post images through Affinity Photo to save for web, but 90% of people probably will just go Copy -> Paste.

According to what little data I'm seeing in cloudflare and cpanel, most are using fairly modern browsers.

If your forum attachments are focused on text based images... I would suggest doing a test conversion first and check a bunch of converted images. XenForo webp compression settings appear to be too high for text based images as can be seen right here on this board. For regular images like movie posters and photos taken from phone, it appears to do fine on my test install.

That would require another subscription for them to compress, right? Couldn't afford that in the first place. I run my post images through Affinity Photo to save for web, but 90% of people probably will just go Copy -> Paste.

According to what little data I'm seeing in cloudflare and cpanel, most are using fairly modern browsers.
no, resmush.it is free (up to certain limits... i've never hit them).

when i talked about this with the admin of the site i am staff on he said roughly 10 percent of his visitors are using mac os 10.15 (which surprised him). i have to agree with him in that killing 10 percent of your visitor base just because you want to save a few bytes could be rather short sighted. he did say that may change down the line but he has other reasons not really liking webp.
that is another reason he is not interested in the webp compression and would prefer native optimization be built in but realizes that he requires a plug in to do so.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 1.52.42 PM.webp

for my site it will not be a big deal. most that post an image memes or similar but his site uses some multi mb images.

Top Bottom