Will XenForo 1.2 be compatible with MySQL 5.6 and PHP 5.5?

That's it? No percona specific changes in my.cnf? Also does it auto install ExtraDB?

Nope, well, you could generate a percona specific my.cnf for best performance... but otherwise no..

And yes, that will install XtraDB also.

Percona has proven to be more stable than MariaDB (from my experience). But also faster in my opinion.

I never understood why people liked MariaDB.

Normal, stock .... ie... Default MySQL is always more backward compatible though (as expect it would be). I seem to find it easier to customize and tweak. Although if you want something pre-tweaked (if you could call it that), go with Percona

MariaDB's advantage over Percona (5.5) is the enhancements to Query Analyzer, which has largely been negated with the release of MySQL 5.6. As many workloads are now moving toward ACID based it makes sense to use the fork which concentrates on making InnoDB faster, more highly available and scalable and that fork is Percona and their XtraDB (a dropin replacement for InnoDB). Infact MariaDB use XtraDB in their fork, Percona use some of MariaDB features in their fork. Having used and tested all 3 forks (Stock, Percona, MariaDB) for many years I have found Percona to be the better one for *my* workloads.

yup my preferred is MariaDB as well for
  1. better MyISAM performance and thread pooling support (Percona 5.6.x alpha also merged MariaDB's thread pooling feature set as well seeing as Oracle's MySQL 5.6 thread pooling is a commercial paid feature only)
  2. mydumper support for up to 3x to 10x faster mysql backup performance compared to mysqldump

yup my preferred is MariaDB as well for
  1. better MyISAM performance and thread pooling support (Percona 5.6.x alpha also merged MariaDB's thread pooling feature set as well seeing as Oracle's MySQL 5.6 thread pooling is a commercial paid feature only)
  2. mydumper support for up to 3x to 10x faster mysql backup performance compared to mysqldump

MariaDB's thread pooling feature is in Percona 5.5 stable as well :)

Top Bottom