Will this hosting be enough for me?

Learner

I envisage around 2000 to 3000 members in the first year, around 200 to 700 active members at the most and Xenforo with addons running on a hosting service which is as following.

Its a shared hosting with special features, mentioned below.
Server :: Dual Quad core Xeon, but exclusive load of 10% to my site.
Space :: enough GB's for me to allow users to host picture albums and have upload attachments in a thread and in their account.
RAM :: 512 soft allocated and 786 hard limit.. (in MB )

Multiple MySQL db's ( I will only use 2 or 3 at the max.. ( namely WP and Xenforo )

I will be obliged with your replies, I can't afford a VPS or dedicated server now, but will shift to one by the end of this year.

Thanks.

I envisage around 2000 to 3000 members in the first year, around 200 to 700 active members at the most and Xenforo with addons running on a hosting service which is as following.

Its a shared hosting with special features, mentioned below.
Server :: Dual Quad core Xeon, but exclusive load of 10% to my site.
Space :: enough GB's for me to allow users to host picture albums and have upload attachments in a thread and in their account.
RAM :: 512 soft allocated and 786 hard limit.. (in MB )

Multiple MySQL db's ( I will only use 2 or 3 at the max.. ( namely WP and Xenforo )

I will be obliged with your replies, I can't afford a VPS or dedicated server now, but will shift to one by the end of this year.

Thanks.

These stats are meaningless seeing as it's shared hosting. If the host oversells you will never be able to take any advantage of the servers hardware. I see they have limited your RAM usage though, which indicates that they do try to balance their servers.

That said, 2k to 3k ACTIVE users might soak up your 512mb limit, but having 2k to 3k users rarely means they are all active. And seeing as that number is pretty low I'd say you will have plenty of time to address your hosting needs should your current host have trouble handling demand at some point. Just make sure you keep an eye on performance and upgrade once it's hit a certain threshold. Depending on your host they may be able to provide you the tools for this.

I recently switched over to a semi-dedicated server at siteground and am very pleased. They even report your CPU, memory and I/O usage, which is a very useful indicator of how demanding your site is becoming.

Thanks, the company I am talking about is a company where I have had accounts for the last 12 years !! but on Windows hosting..
they assured me that if I face problems then they will change it to a VPS hosting package as they are quite well placed to do so.
I am happy with your vote of confidence, It has been a large learning curve for me these last days, but my forum is running in a private mode these days and I am loving the feel and ( I pat myself on back ) for choosing Xenforo :D

I had an account with siteground for my private joomla installation when they were giving promotional pricing, so I would want to know as to how is your account and others accounts priced and what does a semi-dedicated server cost ??
Maybe you can give me a url of your blog and I will be able to gauge the server?
These stats are meaningless seeing as it's shared hosting. If the host oversells you will never be able to take any advantage of the servers hardware. I see they have limited your RAM usage though, which indicates that they do try to balance their servers.

That said, 2k to 3k ACTIVE users might soak up your 512mb limit, but having 2k to 3k users rarely means they are all active. And seeing as that number is pretty low I'd say you will have plenty of time to address your hosting needs should your current host have trouble handling demand at some point. Just make sure you keep an eye on performance and upgrade once it's hit a certain threshold. Depending on your host they may be able to provide you the tools for this.

I recently switched over to a semi-dedicated server at siteground and am very pleased. They even report your CPU, memory and I/O usage, which is a very useful indicator of how demanding your site is becoming.

Thanks, the company I am talking about is a company where I have had accounts for the last 12 years !! but on Windows hosting..
they assured me that if I face problems then they will change it to a VPS hosting package as they are quite well placed to do so.
I am happy with your vote of confidence, It has been a large learning curve for me these last days, but my forum is running in a private mode these days and I am loving the feel and ( I pat myself on back ) for choosing Xenforo :D

I had an account with siteground for my private joomla installation when they were giving promotional pricing, so I would want to know as to how is your account and others accounts priced and what does a semi-dedicated server cost ??
Maybe you can give me a url of your blog and I will be able to gauge the server?

My site is http://naatan.com/, and you can view the semi-dedicated packages here: http://www.siteground.com/semi_dedicated_hosting.htm

Note I have only been with them for a very short while, so I can't yet vouch for them. But so far I am very pleased.

Before them I was with hostgator and later gigapro, both of which had some serious problems (hostgator had good support but terrible performance, gigapro had good performance but terrible support).

@Naatan, thanks again for your reply, I also had support in mind when I was looking for a shared hosting solution to start the forum, and my present hosting has offered me stellar support all these years.
I think for now, I am coo with the solution I have, unless some other members can share tech or general stuff that might be relevant to my case.
LOLz.. I looked at Hosgator and one of my members suggested gigapro but I am glad that I didn't consider them, although I did consider Bluehost..

I had high hopes for gigapros, but any serious tickets need to be submitted in their ticket system and take 24h+ to respond. And the response you get has for me never been of a decent quality (ie. general template type responses). Shame cause I really liked their performance.

May I ask what host you have been with for 12 years?

Yes, its wipl.in
I know the owner there and he was known to me even before he started this business :)
I had high hopes for gigapros, but any serious tickets need to be submitted in their ticket system and take 24h+ to respond. And the response you get has for me never been of a decent quality (ie. general template type responses). Shame cause I really liked their performance.

May I ask what host you have been with for 12 years?

Well for now we are managing well :) but we may need you in the future, I have been collecting links etc of competitive and specialized hosts, so you may drop me a PM if you will :D
Thanks
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Forums do not get smaller.

Can we help or assist?

Based on my experience, you'd have to have such a server perfectly tuned to be able to have 300 or more people on at one time. Personally, I would not have the confidence to do this.

As a comparison, I have a dedicated quad-core with 8G RAM and I expect my peak load to be about 800 users (winter is my busy season). I would never expect 512RAM and 1/10 of the CPU to do the same job.......

I don't have extensive experience with XF, but used an older forum SW for a decade. We maxed out a dual pentium 3.0 ghz with 2G Ram at about 600 users (15 minutes periods).

Again, if one knows how to perfectly tune, they may get a bit more out of it. The fact that your forum is new (is it?) will help because your db will not be large yet.

@Naatan, thanks again for your reply, I also had support in mind when I was looking for a shared hosting solution to start the forum, and my present hosting has offered me stellar support all these years.
I think for now, I am coo with the solution I have, unless some other members can share tech or general stuff that might be relevant to my case.
LOLz.. I looked at Hosgator and one of my members suggested gigapro but I am glad that I didn't consider them, although I did consider Bluehost..

FYI, I have a shared Bluehost that I use with WP only for a very low traffic site (my blog) and it is slow as heck!

FYI, I have a shared Bluehost that I use with WP only for a very low traffic site (my blog) and it is slow as heck!

Bluehost sucks big time ! I will never try xenforo with them . Site used to go down 3-4times a week and they never gave me right answer .

Thanks for your reply, the loads I have mentioned are based on my assumptions of 6 to 8 months from now, yes we are starting new and are already 30 online and posting and trying to thrash the systemand resources many times over ;)
but yet we are fine.. as I said.. the company is from a friend and I am getting Dual core Xeon's 10 % with HT ;) enabled and hard 786 mb RAM..
but what you suggest will be a big choice with me coz I will be asking my friend to tailor make a system of vpz specifically for us :) yes, I can manage packages :D
Based on my experience, you'd have to have such a server perfectly tuned to be able to have 300 or more people on at one time. Personally, I would not have the confidence to do this.

As a comparison, I have a dedicated quad-core with 8G RAM and I expect my peak load to be about 800 users (winter is my busy season). I would never expect 512RAM and 1/10 of the CPU to do the same job.......

I don't have extensive experience with XF, but used an older forum SW for a decade. We maxed out a dual pentium 3.0 ghz with 2G Ram at about 600 users (15 minutes periods).

Again, if one knows how to perfectly tune, they may get a bit more out of it. The fact that your forum is new (is it?) will help because your db will not be large yet.

Thanks, I was keeping Bluehost in my list but now, I am removing it, why.. coz I think members here at Xenforo forums are the biggest and th ebest help I can get :D and I can trust them.
Bluehost sucks big time ! I will never try xenforo with them . Site used to go down 3-4times a week and they never gave me right answer .

I started my community with bluehost ! Thought it would be good for atleast year until the community real grows better i mean 1000members atleast but it started going down heavily and their support was worst nightmare.

I will PM you but realistically, we can provide the right solution for you, I just need traffic stats and we can point you in the right direction.

The problem with swap is then the disk I/O becomes slow which then tops your CPU and then your server becomes intermittent whilst trying to write.

We have some of our own forums and we would never put them on a shared hosting, or a standard VPS, which uses the same core as other people hosting their sites / servers.

Top Bottom