Will there be an official modding community for XenForo?

0ptima

Will there be an official modding community similar to vb.org for XenForo? If there is, I hope that it is launched at the same time as XF becomes available for purchase as there will most probably be a huge influx of unofficial mods/addons/themes released shortly after.

If there is no official community, then mods/addons will be scattered through the dozens of unofficial XF sites. I dont see anything wrong with unofficial XF sites, however, having a central official site would be beneficial. XenForo staff could post articles on leveraging XF, tips and tricks, and potential clients would be able to see how they could extend the functionality XF.

The modification community does not need to be elaborate, it could be as simple as another forum section on xenforo.com

Great to hear! You guys did a fantastic job in VB's plugin system (and if I remember, really pioneered the concept for other forum software) so I'm really excited to see what XF offers.

The mods will be hosted here on this site. How it will be implemented hasn't been talked about yet though.
I consider it to be a good idea to get the whole thing working and have a final version before talking about mods. Having a final version will probably bring along a quite fixed code base that makes mod development easier. Look at vb4: too many changes in source drive mod developers nuts.

superb, so you can give support for XF also if this was modded by the customers? (obviously if the ran the software with the 'official releases')
I doubt that they'll be running the software with the mods. He's just saying that rather than having a xenForo.org for an official modding community, they will be released here, so that when someone asks if there's a certain add-on, we don't have to send them to another site. They can get it right here.

I think this was definitely a yes, because without it you wouldn't get the amount of audience you require (vB is mostly successful due to the modification community and the plethora of modifications available).

Top Bottom