Will moving to Xenforo increase my pagerank?

woei

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of moving to Xenforo. Currently i'm using vBulletin 4.2.0 and I have a really bad pagerank in Google of zero. In the past when I was running vBulletin 3.6.x with vBSEO it was like 3 or 4, and the traffic from search engines was great. Now it's horrible, and I'm looking for a way to improve it.

vBSEO is no option due to the troubles and security issues the have.

Will Xenforo make the difference? Will it improve my pagerank and search engine traffic? I have more than 3 million posts, is that a problem? My forums are at http://forum.scooterforum.net

Regards

Bas

Hello Bas,

I'm not sure how XenForo might affect your page rank (either up or down) but did notice that for me only 60,000 or so of your forum pages are showing in Google's search results (which seems quite low for a 3+ million post forum - although Google may be reducing the number because of my English language preferences):

http://bit.ly/1l3NREK (site:forum.scooterforum.net)

3 million posts won't be a problem at all in terms of the software (my own site is 2.8 million posts and runs very well on XenForo - www.cyclechat.net and there are much bigger sites using it too, like Digitalpoint [16 million] and AV Forums [15 million]) and you might also want to look at the Enhanced Search add-on for an additional $50:

XenForo Enhanced Search is designed to give significantly better search performance and additional search options to your users. It is built on top of elasticsearch, which is in turn built on top of Lucene. This gives excellent performance, even with millions of pieces of content. Elasticsearch allows nearly infinite scalability and redundancy by silently allowing searches to be run across multiple servers. Additionally, you benefit from a very small stopword list and no minimum word length, allowing nearly any search to return meaningful results. Elasticsearch also provides support for returning results based on how relevant they are to your search. You can select relevancy ordering on the advanced search page.

You must have access to install elasticsearch 0.16.0 or newer and XenForo 1.1.1 or newer to use this add-on. Only customers with dedicated servers or VPSes will be able to use it.

Access to Enhanced Search updates and support is included as long as your XenForo license is current for support and updates. When extending your XenForo license, the cost of add-on extensions will be automatically added to the base cost.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I've found just by having XenForo and a simple Sitemap generated daily, my page rank performs incredibly well. Better than when I was running a vBulletin forum with vBSEO (which I was lucky enough to be given for free - I'd never pay for it otherwise!)

XenForo makes proper user of metadata conventions, so that when I do a Google search for mlp iOS game uk, this is what I get...
Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 14.01.39.webp

...you get a result like that - notice the Breadcrumbs under the result title. Compare that to a website that isn't running XenForo...
Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 14.03.24.webp

These are results for a search were the site name wasn't the search term - our XenForo-powered board came up on Page 1 as the 5th result - above the Gameloft forum, no less. This is just one example, but I hope you find it answers your question to the point where you certainly won't lose page rank - if anything, you'll probably go up a couple of steps.

Page rank has no value anymore in the SEO world. It's much more then that. In the short run, you will get a hit from Google, but after few months you will recover and have a better SEO capabilities than whatever vB has to offer in its core.

Top Bottom