Will licensing be automatic?

Martyn

Just wondering how licensing will happen? once we pay will we automaticly get the software? etc is there a members area? etc etc etc???

I'm guessing yes and yes. You pay via PayPal, and you get a customer number and login. You can login and download the software. :)
i hate the vb thing of customer number etc, i never remember mine... something similar to vbseo where its all done via the forum login would be perfect to me!

I absolutely hate how IPS forces you to wait until they approve your account before you can download anything. I know that with Kier and Mike, we'll probably have an elegant solution for purchasing our licenses and downloading the software.

I hope it will, if they have to approve all licenses manually, they'll not have time to develop :(
Don't forget Ashley ;)

Seriously, we don't yet know what form the licensing system will take so anything said at this point is just speculation.

I'm sure Ashley will be posting the details before Tuesday :)

Cape part made me laugh.

Maybe its gonna be send attached via email.

I always recommend a business selling things to not do that. The % of users making typos or using incorrect email (out of habbit or whatever) leads to incorrect people potentially receiving the .zip file when they shouldn't.

Members Area with a customer login and password would work best I think, but the vBSEO type thing where I can access my licenses from the forum login, that'd be most convenient. Maybe a members area which allows users to log in with details from their forum accounts but it's separate..

I always found it surprising that you gain immediate access to vB...I expect there to be a manual approval process like there is with IPB. I sell forum skins to the same customers, and I know first hand that this environment is littered with fraudulent orders - orders that move through the payment system just fine but are reversed later (out of your control) or are sold to known pirates. A simple manual approval process can stop the vast majority of these fraudulent purchases from ever falling in the hands of the "buyers".

Because of this, I choose to use a manual approval process, as does IPS. I think it's the only way to go, and I'm fine with any sellers of a digital product doing the same. They don't do it because they have an inferior shopping cart/download system. If nothing else, it's easier to enable download access immediately than it is to hold it for a manual review.

Would like to hear myself how XF is going to be handled though...or we just wait 2 days and find out ourselves :)

I always found it surprising that you gain immediate access to vB...I expect there to be a manual approval process like there is with IPB. I sell forum skins to the same customers, and I know first hand that this environment is littered with fraudulent orders - orders that move through the payment system just fine but are reversed later (out of your control) or are sold to known pirates. A simple manual approval process can stop the vast majority of these fraudulent purchases from ever falling in the hands of the "buyers".

Because of this, I choose to use a manual approval process, as does IPS. I think it's the only way to go, and I'm fine with any sellers of a digital product doing the same. They don't do it because they have an inferior shopping cart/download system. If nothing else, it's easier to enable download access immediately than it is to hold it for a manual review.

Would like to hear myself how XF is going to be handled though...or we just wait 2 days and find out ourselves :)
I don't see the issue with this. For fraudulent orders, they can just revoke access to the members area. Sure, it's possible that the person got a copy of the software, but they won't be able to download future versions, and their license is no longer valid, so really they are in a situation no different than if they had downloaded a pirated copy of the software (which will exist, by the way).

If I pay for the software, I want to be able to download it immediately, not wait while the team goes through the hundreds if not thousands of purchase requests that they'll receive on the first day. :)

I absolutely hate how IPS forces you to wait until they approve your account before you can download anything. I know that with Kier and Mike, we'll probably have an elegant solution for purchasing our licenses and downloading the software.
That depends on how long they take to get the money. If they use paypal and get notified if the payment got through immediatly, you should be able to download the software immediatly.

That depends on how long they take to get the money. If they use paypal and get notified if the payment got through immediatly, you should be able to download the software immediatly.
Well that depends on what time of day it is really.

They're not going to have people waiting 24/7 in case an order comes through.

I don't see the issue with this. For fraudulent orders, they can just revoke access to the members area. Sure, it's possible that the person got a copy of the software, but they won't be able to download future versions, and their license is no longer valid, so really they are in a situation no different than if they had downloaded a pirated copy of the software (which will exist, by the way).

People who fraud software companies could care less whether or not they can receive support or updates, because if the system lets them through the first time with automatic activation, it will let them through every time they decide to try again. You don't know how easy it is to place a fraudulent order through PayPal. I'd say that somewhere in the range of 25% of the orders that I receive for skins are fraudulent that I reverse manually before providing download access.

Immediate activation makes pirating software like stealing candy from a baby. It doesn't stop it, no, nothing will...but a lot of companies have a manual approval process to at least slow down pirating. Adobe and IPS both do, I know. What really p*isses me off is when I don't pick up on a fraudulent order myself during approval and provide support for my product for months and then have the payment reversed on a chargeback later on because the buyer did not authorize payment. With automatic approval, this stuff would be rampant...and the vendor may have to increase prices to compensate. Who knows, could have something to do with the reason that vB is notably more expensive than IPB. vB licenses are activated immediately, IPB licenses are not ;)

Top Bottom