1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Will customisations survive an update?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Mr Lucky, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

If I edit templates in a custom theme, I presume they will survive an update, is this correct. Do updates sometimes need a change to custom style templates? (This was always annoying with vbulletin, it seemed every update meant re-editing your custom styles as they no longer worked)

Thanks

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes. There is a merge system that attempts to do it automatically and tools to help you update your templates upon upgrades.

3. Mr Lucky

Thanks.

One more related question, if I want to add some CSS, is it a good idea to create my own additional .css stylesheet and link to it in the header template, or to edit an existing stylesheet?

4. Jeremy

EXTRA.css is already created for your custom CSS.

5. Mr Lucky

Aha, you think of everything!

I noticed this
    Does that mean if I don't tick the box it could get modified in an upgrade?

6. Jeremy

No, that box means if you modify a template and don't want an add-on to automatically add to the template, it will prevent it from adding anything automatically via add-ons. Upgrades will still attempt to auto-merge XenForo changes and will tell you of the template being outdated if it cannot add in XenForo's changes.

Mr Lucky likes this.
  7. Mr Lucky

Great, thanks.