XF 1.1 Will auto-promotion be re-applied if I remove someone's access/privs?

CTXMedia

When I migrate from IPB to XF I plan to use the default primary Registered group as the "Newbies" group (with limited privs), and then promote members to additional secondary groups using the auto-promotion facility to give them higher access as they use the site more.

Stack their privs higher over time or as they post more - similar to this:

• Registered - PRIMARY (limited basic access)
  • Full member (full access to most forums)
  • Events (can add events to calendar)
  • Classifieds (can post in classified forum)
  • Political debates (can post in debates forum)
  • Chat (can use chatroom)
  • Trusted (can edit posts indefinitely)
  • etc.

However, what I would want to be able to do is remove selected or individual privs if someone abuses a facility. For example, if someone is particularly rude in the chatroom, I would want to be able to manually remove their Chat secondary group access to remove their access to the chatroom.

But would the auto-promotion kick back in next time they login and promote them back to having chat access again?

The whole point of me breaking down the privs into small selective access points is so that I can have more granular control over what members can do on CycleChat; but if the auto-promotion is going to re-apply the privs when I remove them it will defeat the object.

Anyone know if this is the case, or whether I manual override of the auto-promotion sticks?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'm taking about removing a secondary group from a members group list.

If someone earns the Chat auto-promotion, but I remove the secondary group Chat from someone's account due to moderation - will the auto-promotion system re-promote them to Chat next time they login?

No, because the promotion is still valid/active - you can check by listing the promotions applied to that user.

Which is why you need to remove individual privileges rather than remove users from groups, unless you want them to be permanently removed from those groups.

If you disable the promotion and then remove (enable) it for that user, then it can be applied again.

Far easier just to assign a Never via user or user group permissions.

Warning: You have misused the Chat Room, you will loose Chat Room privileges for 1 week.

(then have that warning put them in a user group with never as a permission)

Ah, okay, well that's good then - thanks. (y)

So an automated promotion "sticks" - even if I later remove the group they were promoted to.

Phew. That's a relief. :coffee:

Warning: You have misused the Chat Room, you will loose Chat Room privileges for 1 week.

(then have that warning put them in a user group with never as a permission)

Hmmm ... okay, well that's another way of approaching it too. Thanks Dean (and Paul).

I'm still wrapping my head around it all, but I'm getting there ... slowly ... lol :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Personally, on my forum, base permissions will be set to 'no not set'. The as things are added / promoted, 'yes' will be added.

Then 'Warnings' will be given which has 'never'...

unless I can think of a better way of handling a few things..

Ah ha ... hang on then ... so you could use NEVER to create a series of "anti" groups that remove the privs for a short period, so you could have:

• Classifieds (can post in the ads forums)
  • Classifieds No (can NEVER post in the ads forums)

... and the NEVER will override the other if applied?

Ooooo oooo hang on again ... so I could use NEVER groups to block access to things too.

So if I have someone posting commercial stuff in the Classifieds forum who won't stop, I can just add a secondary usergroup to their account with NEVER for posting/viewing the classifieds forums and they're locked out, but can still use the rest of the site?

Wahey ... this could be fun.

It's very flexible isn't it. (y)

One thing though..

If you want to issue a warning for an indeterminate amount of time, without basing it off criteria such as length of time from when the warning was issued, then a warning could be issued which will put them into a user group with Never which will last forever...
But the only way of taking the effects of that Warning out, is to remove the warning - which leaves no trace of what happened...
(I probably worded that terrible, hope you understand)

I made a suggestion over here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/per-chance-edit-effects-or-soft-delete-warning.22063/

And Brogan made a similar suggestion here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...dding-to-user-groups-for-a-time-period.21285/

Top Bottom