Wikimedia sues Internet Brands

....since we received nearly no tech support, many of them denied or taking years, no mediawiki upgrades from 2007 to 2011 leaving us vulnerable to sort of abuse
Internet Brands not listening ? [shock]

They also promised a major advantage of being owned by IB would be substantial resources for development and better servers, yet despite this, we have lived with a misconfigured database for years, often at months at a time making the site nearly unusable, especially for us patrolling the site and doing mass edits to keep the site clean.
Buying a site and not investing in it. Classic IB failure.

We cried foul, IB promised improvements, nothing happened - and this repeated itself again and again and ...
Sounds like vBulletin 4.

We then learned recently that they had actually sued an administrator and a contributor, as individuals
Internet Brands bullying anyone they can ? [shock]

The Wikimedia foundation rising up to this, is for me, pretty much a Deus ex machina moment, and boy do I hope they suffer, at the very least, irreparable damage to their reputation so they can no longer buy up any more online communities.
Kudos to the Wikimedia foundation.

First off, this is a sad story. It's unfortunate you have to deal with the "more lawyers than brains" Internet Brands. IB knows they will lose this case, they just sue to deter people from creating content on the new WikiVoyage site.

Reality to Internet Brands:
- Learning the definition of the Creative Commons license after purchasing a website. Facepalm.

Sertmann: please understand our situation. If you think the Internet sucks running off IB's servers, try using their software ! #vB4-epic-fail

My thoughts on wikitravel.org :

internet.brands.wikitravel.org.removal.webp

I know, I didn't come for pitty, just thought you guys would appreciate a IB story, exactly because you've been through it all before..
I really enjoyed your post. Thanks for taking the time (y). The IB lawsuit against the ex-wikitravelers seems even more frivolous - which I didn't think was possible.
/ouch

I'm in favor of Humanity VS IB under charges of slowing down progress ... like in general...

I have never searched and read anything....well...good about them at all really...

It really does disgust me that they have been allowed to continue to do what it is they do...I mean...not to be outright stupid and say what I think but what the hell... is what they do even legal and if so please tell me where to read the document that says so. It really effing baffles me amongst other things that baffle me...such as where they got their courthouse speedpass...

I need to sleep...

That's because it doesn't make any sense.
Somebody submitted it to Slashdot...

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09...brands-sues-people-for-forking-under-cc-by-sa

... and some of the replies give more information into what the lawsuit alleges. In a nutshell, supposedly IB acknowledges that the content itself can be copied to the new site but the volunteers (again, supposedly) made public statements that WikiTravel was moving to WikiMedia and that they also emailed several hundred WikiTravel users from their WikiTravel email accounts saying the same thing. The problem there would be that WikiTravel is not moving to WikiMedia and it will remain a for-profit site by IB; the users can move away if they want to but saying that WikiTravel is moving to WikiMedia would be a false statement.

Top Bottom