Lack of interest Wiki Posts

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Reinhard

It would be nice to have this feature. Mark messages as a collaborative edit by any trusted member (or with some trustworthy metrics) in the community. All users can create a thread or message like "Wiki Post", but only those with the sufficient trust or metric will be able to edit it.

There may be a group of users in a community with the appropriate permissions to have the ability to "Edit" only if any user creates a "Wiki Post" and the group of users with those special permissions can be called "Contributors", "Editors" , There are many ways to name them. This has countless functions, it is a matter of each community the use that you want to give.

Imagine a community of 150,000 users, but it has a metric where users who are 3 years old, more than 1,000 messages, among many other metrics and criteria that can be taken into consideration. They gain the ability to edit messages that are marked as "Wiki Post" by their original authors.

They can be used for topics that need to be constantly edited with up-to-date information. Imagine that in that community of 150,000 users, there are about 30 contributors or editors, who do it for pleasure and for the good of the community.

There must be a list type of all threads and messages marked as "Wiki Mode" of the entire community, there may be search by filters like "categories", forums, sub-forums, number of messages, by name, by date " From: "" to: "... among many other filters.

The idea in general is to have "Wiki Post" and that from the administration panel, there are all the tools to give you a great control over it. How to grant limitations, requirements, metrics to be able to have the feature, pay a membership and get that feature in the community, or meet criteria and infinity of things ... also that can be added in groups of users whether or not they can dial Your threads and messages like "Wiki Post" or "Wiki Mode", as you would prefer to call it ...

Clearly there will be people who do not see this feature useful, but many others will see great potential and use for their community. I understood that all communities are different, this tool will be for those that are compatible with it. Generally, it can be said that more than 70% of communities are compatible and can be exploitable and profitable this type of function.

What do they believe? Opinions? @Alfa1

Greetings, Reinhard

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There's already a suggestion about wiki and XenForo:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/native-wiki.1636/

I think that this idea is too big to be a core feature and would be more suited to an add-on (official or 3rd party).

Is not the same. That suggestion you mention speaks about creating a whole Wiki system. I only propose a "wiki feature". What do I mean? Simply, as explained, the ability of any user to create a thread and depending on the topic of conversation will be marked by the same as an "editable thread" (which I wanted to call Wiki Mode, because editing is something very related to Wiki )

I did not propose a whole product with a Wiki system as in that suggestion that it mentions. I do not know if you understand me, my English is bad

Continuing with the explanation, imagine that you want to create a thread from "List of the biggest forums you know". Then when creating the thread, you place as an example 10 of the biggest forums you know (3DJuegos, Gaia Online, etc.), but it turns out that although you will be pending new messages and then edit your own thread to add each new forum proposed In the messages by the users. You can do it, but there will come a time when you do not want to do it any more, or it will last for months to re-edit again. And a moderator will not usually make these issues, unless interested. That's why it's good that users can mark their thread or message as "Editing" for everyone, where everyone can edit the message to add better information ... or only allow a group of users with high confidence and time in the community to That can edit those messages and threads with the dialing feature enabled.

You understand? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, my English is bad. But I do not actually propose a Wiki! Product ... that if it is a great feature, it would rather be another XenForo product ...

I can seem a need at times to update the first post in a thread by others for various reasons. Beyond that, I don't see the need to update other posts in threads - members simply wouldn't look back at other posts in threads, plus it would be problematic for them to know which other posts had actually been updated or not (whereas it's easier to remember if a first post has been edited). So for this solution of first post editing, a simple additional permission could be created - "can edit any first post". To me, anything beyond this is much more complex and really the only solution that would work, not just from the point of view of implementation and permissions, but also from the perspective of members and being able to keep track of content that can be edited, is to have a full wiki solution as per the other suggestion.

Last edited:
I can seem a need at times to update the first post in a thread by others for various reasons. Beyond that, I don't see the need to update other posts in threads - members simply wouldn't look back at other posts in threads, plus it would be problematic for them to know which other posts had actually been updated or not (whereas it's easier to remember if a first post has been edited). So for this solution of first post editing, a simple additional permission could be created - "can edit any first post". To me, anything beyond this is much more complex and really the only solution that would work, not just from the point of view of implementation and permissions, but also from the perspective of members and being able to keep track of content that can be edited, is to have a full wiki solution as per the other suggestion.

So negative Martok. ;) This is a great way to allow particular user-groups to build up authority content without going down the full wiki route and it works well. (y)

So negative Martok. ;)
Not at all. After all, the OP said:

What do they believe? Opinions?

so I engaged in conversation about the idea, which clarified things. Broadly I agree with the idea of editing the first post by others, as I said in my earlier post. The link from @Digital Doctor was helpful as the existing resource explains the idea clearly and succinctly and I can see it would be useful to some.

I suggest you focus your responses on the topic of discussion and not on personal comments towards other members, you should re-read Rule 2 with regards to this.

Do not worry, this is a topic of suggestion, the most logical is that it receives negativity and criticism, as well as feedback to improve. Because from there it is seen whether it is viable or not, if it lacks something or not, whether it has potential or not. Martok's opinions have a good point, but they are not entirely accurate.

Martok is right in several ways and it is good that he has expressed it for us, but he mentioned a very important point. I consider necessary the "alerts" on:

• "User X marked his thread" Wiki Post "in which you have a message (or more)"
• Receive alerts when: "The user edited X thread to update the information, have a look at the new aggregated information"
• "You have a thread marked" Wiki Post ", it has just been edited by user X"

These alerts would serve to keep connected people involved in a discussion, where the first message is marked as Wiki Post by the need that needs to be updated with new information if it becomes necessary. This way you will be able to see the "new changes" and "added information" and take initiative to re-comment on the new changes, or the importance, or their positive or negative opinion, among many other things.

They will also serve these alerts to inform users of the status of their threads marked as Wiki Post, and receive alerts each time their thread (and by whom) is edited. And you can check it out, to see what new thing was added. You can also cancel the "alerts" received by your Wiki Post.

I think this is a great feature, it is excellent to exist as a resource for XenForo. But I consider it necessary that it be a feature of the nucleus.

Thank you @Digital Doctor for the information of the existence of "Wiki Post" in XenForo (as extension). And @JamesBrown thank you very much, for his support :D

Greetings, Reinhard

Top Bottom