Why XenForo?

Why XenForo?
They say IPB is better.
Could you please show the difference, and why?

Because I'm going to open a forum site and I couldn't decide between the two.

XenForo has the largest marketshare.

Source: https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

XF is the best forum software out there, period. IPS sucks, IMO.
Not if one is wanting a full 1st party suite of applications.
Why XenForo?
They say IPB is better.

If you consider where IPS was on it's second release then it is a level playing field... but XenForo 2.0 took so long to get out that IPS is now ahead of XenForo. As I mentioned above, IPS has a full suite of add-ons (Pages, Gallery, Resource Manager, Commerce, Clubs, Blogs) that XenForo does not have other than the Gallery & Resource manager. So if any of those are important to you, other than the Gallery & Resource manager, then you should look carefully at IPS.
I like XenForo, but I also believe in using the correct tool for the job.
If you want a simple forum and know that you don't want Pages (allows you to create pages from data you/your users submit) and a 1st party Commerce package along with Blogs and Clubs, then XenForo is a good choice as the developers are a "tad" more involved with there user base.
Classic case of this is if you ask a question on how IPS does stuff or how to implement something on their support forum you hear the crickets chirping from those developers, and if they do respond it's to tell you to submit a ticket. If you did the same thing with XenForo you are just as apt to get a reply from one of the developers on how to fix it.

Last edited:
Because life is not long enough to ignore happy moments. In other words, personal opinion is a perfectly valid reason for what software you choose.

We've recently renewed licences but are somewhat torn between the two, only because of acquaintances and such.. Some say IPS is more feature rich and has better ways to deliver the content, while others say XF is where it's at.
Four years or so for us now with XF and only the last few months we feel a little rattled by IPS.
IPS forums are not member (not paid customer) friendly and IMHO we can't seem to get clear answers to basic questions. Getting your head around it all, also seems to take a long time as it's not very intuitive.
For XF, staff help, ease of use, fluidness of things for us are win win. Support is outstanding tbh..

IPS? Sounds great, sounds amazing, people who use it swear by it... but it just seems odd to use. I am intrigued and have been for a very long time.
That said, a friend of ours has adapted well and states it's simply a matter of adjusting.

Have spoken to Matt via emails and he's suggested some help with our model, but I feel immediately put off by how they handle members on-site who are not paid customers. Not friendly really.
Friendliness goes a hell of a long way in my book tbh.

On that note, we're not moving from XF any time soon. :)

IPS forums are not member (not paid customer) friendly and IMHO we can't seem to get clear answers to basic questions. Getting your head around it all, also seems to take a long time as it's not very intuitive.
To do paid promotions (of the users) you are required to also purchase the Commerce package, unlike with XF which has it built in.
IPS? Sounds great, sounds amazing, people who use it swear by it... but it just seems odd to use. I am intrigued and have been for a very long time.
That said, a friend of ours has adapted well and states it's simply a matter of adjusting.
I run both, and for a basic forum I prefer XF due to it's footprint being smaller. If you need a full fledged system that has commerce (a true commerce package), blogs, custom DB's, groups, and a media setup then you would be looking more at IPS.
One of the things I do NOT like about IPS is that their developers don't like to give assistance in the forum. They prefer you to submit a ticket. Their tickets only preference means that something that effects (or can) several admins will each have to submit a ticket instead of finding the assistance in a thread.
On the XF site, you are liable to get help in the forum by the developers as well as members.

Why bother post on here if you hate xenforo software?
I love using xf software. I find it better than vbulletin software.
Simple machines software isn’t too bad.
But overall xf has better features and it has staff that are willing to help you.

Why bother post on here if you hate xenforo software?
But overall xf has better features and it has staff that are willing to help you.
What you talking about Willis?
It's hard to know who you are talking to when not quoting even a partial of the post you are referencing.
If for me, a simple check of the 3 sites in my sig will indicate where I'm coming from.

No one said they hate it. :oops:
No but you can see my point.
If people think something else is better try it.
I tried IPB and found it was a total rip off.
XF and some free forum software is always good.
Some of xf software is based from phpbb coding. Some of it is visual basic coding. Vbulletin is that.

To do paid promotions (of the users) you are required to also purchase the Commerce package, unlike with XF which has it built in.

I run both, and for a basic forum I prefer XF due to it's footprint being smaller. If you need a full fledged system that has commerce (a true commerce package), blogs, custom DB's, groups, and a media setup then you would be looking more at IPS.
One of the things I do NOT like about IPS is that their developers don't like to give assistance in the forum. They prefer you to submit a ticket. Their tickets only preference means that something that effects (or can) several admins will each have to submit a ticket instead of finding the assistance in a thread.
On the XF site, you are liable to get help in the forum by the developers as well as members.
Hiya my friend.
Aye I've visited a few of your sites and know what you mean.
You've stated exactly what others have mentioned about IPS and that's what draws me.
Would you be okay to discuss this in private for some examples of what you mean precisely?
I can't get around this DB's idea for pages et al..

FTR; I completely understand and somewhat agree that this may be inappropriate to discuss on XF's very own site, but it also serves a purpose for Kier, Mike, Chris, Brogan, Slavik and Jake - invaluable feedback from us all who are discussing this and they could, perhaps, cherry pick what they want from this and maybe gather some info and use it to create something (as in feedback) or totally ignore it. :unsure:

Top Bottom