1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the safe_mode restriction?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Basilio, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Basilio

Basilio Member

I'm considering on buying XenForo, but I am not very keen on turning safe_mode off, as despite the generally good impression of the software, there always are certain risks - and keeping safe_mode in effect is a part of managing these risks. What exactly will happen if I just subtly comment out the safe_mode check from the install script? Why is this part so crucial for XenForo?
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I should note the big deprecated warning of safe_mode in PHP: http://php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php

Depending on circumstances, uploading may fail entirely. You may not be able to get past the install. Depending on safe mode and server configuration, you may be able to get around it, but it's not something that we could recommend -- especially as there are various ways that people can get around safe_mode if they're really trying to.
  3. Basilio

Basilio Member

Okay thanks for the comment. I guess it's time to look into suphp or chrooting apache.