Why not merge duplicate suggestions with original thread?

Brent W

Seems this would be better than marking them as duplicate? That way the user is taken to the original thread so that they can also like the original post.

A majority of time a link is given. If a user doesn't pay attention, they may start searching for their suggestion thread and not find it. Marking it as a duplicate allows them to find their suggestion again quickly and easily.

A majority of time a link is given. If a user doesn't pay attention, they may start searching for their suggestion thread and not find it. Marking it as a duplicate allows them to find their suggestion again quickly and easily.

An alert which informs the thread starter thata thread has been moved, merged, closed, deleted would be good. There is a mod for it.

Modifications (except 1st party) are not installed on this forum. I believe alerts for moderator actions is an active suggestion.

Modifications (except 1st party) are not installed on this forum. I believe alerts for moderator actions is an active suggestion.

Well its a great request regardless. Maybe the moderators can move that post into its own thread and we can solve some efficiency problems on xenForo.com when it comes to suggestions? :)

I think I have to agree with @BamaStangGuy here. On many occasions the original suggestion thread was written in a sloppy manner whilst many duplicate threads were nicely written, explained better and put forth the suggestion better so I agree with merging them.

@BamaStangGuy : Are you talking about moderator alerts or merging? I'm slightly confused here. If its for alerts on moderator actions, I do believe there is already a suggestion for that in the forums.

@Shelley / BSG, if you report the original and link to the new thread and explain that it may be a better suited for being the non-duplicate, I'm sure the staff will consider it.

@BamaStangGuy : Are you talking about moderator alerts or merging? I'm slightly confused here. If its for alerts on moderator actions, I do believe there is already a suggestion for that in the forums.

@Shelley / BSG, if you report the original and link to the new thread and explain that it may be a better suited for being the non-duplicate, I'm sure the staff will consider it.

I think in some cases it could be tagged as duplicate don't get me wrong. But I've seen quality entry suggestions tagged as duplicate which were well explained, feature list improvement explained exceptionally well whilst a downright sloppy 1 line maybe 2 lines suggestion remained merely because it got posted first. I'm mainly referring to the past suggestions that got tagged as duplicate so I think staff discretion should certainly be used in cases such as that.

On my part, I think it's just a shame to see a quality suggestion entry post archived whilst a poorly entered suggestion remains at the end of the day if the suggestion is written in a way that it's explained better than the original suggestion i think it should be merged, if it's a one line sloppy suggestion tag it as duplicate. This would then be down to staff discretion.

Couldn't agree more. If you feel a better decision could have been made, I am sure the staff would reevaluate it.

Couldn't agree more. If you feel a better decision could have been made, I am sure the staff would reevaluate it.

Yeah, I think they would consider it also. Which brings me to my next point :D If members feel a quality suggestion (which is duplicate) shouldn't be tagged as duplicate, I feel they should do there part and report it as such (so all the work isn't piled on brogan) though he still has to tag and move it but atleast there's some help from members who feel strongly if a certain suggestion shouldn't be moved but rather merged. Just thinking out loud here.

On that note: Merge or Purge? :LOL:

Whenever suggestions are made for new xF functionality it is common for the suggestion to be a duplicate.

Duplicates are generally marked as duplicate and moved to the 'implemented / resolved' forum.

I find this very confusing and it led me (and I'm sure others) to wonder if the suggestion was implemented since it was moved to a forum where implemented suggestions go.

I propose all dupes are merged with the original suggestion as it will give Kier and mike a more true picture of the popularity of the suggestion and it will also give greater insight and background to the suggestion. Surely all comments and ideas for implementation are contributory and belong together. I feel this would promote more conversation around the proposed new feature.

Just my $0.02

Whenever suggestions are made for new xF functionality it is common for the suggestion to be a duplicate.

Duplicates are generally marked as duplicate and moved to the 'implemented / resolved' forum.

I find this very confusing and it led me (and I'm sure others) to wonder if the suggestion was implemented since it was moved to a forum where implemented suggestions go.

I propose all dupes are merged with the original suggestion as it will give Kier and mike a more true picture of the popularity of the suggestion and it will also give greater insight and background to the suggestion. Surely all comments and ideas for implementation are contributory and belong together. I feel this would promote more conversation around the proposed new feature.

Just my $0.02

I'm quite sure this is currently being discussed as i posted myself in the related discussion. :) *finds thread* and I totally agree.

Edit: Here's the thread. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/why-not-merge-duplicate-suggestions-with-original-thread.55156/

Last edited:
It would be called bumping then. I've already got my posts (and not only mine) deleted because of that.

I have to agree with all of the above and made a similar thread myself. It really narks me when dupe suggestions are not merged but what really takes the biscuit is when the dupe is moved to implemented and resolved. This causes confusion and then in most cases deflated hope.

Surely all comments, insight and ideas around a suggestion belong together or am I just being short sighted.

Don't be silly. Its not bumping. Subscribers to the original post and other viewers would just see an additional viewpoint and additional support of the request.

As is usual in these situations, it is impossible to please everyone.

I have also been criticised for merging when the thread author got confused and could no longer find their original thread.

The approach I tend to take is if it is a new suggestion with only a few posts then it gets marked as a duplicate.

If I happen to stumble across two similar suggestions which were posted a while ago and both have a decent amount of posts then they get merged.

The benefit of having multiple threads is the titles are usually different and as people use different terms when searching then they are more likely to get a hit if there is more than one thread.

In both cases though, it doesn't help the main criteria which is first post likes.

If you make a new suggestion and it is marked as a duplicate, simply visit the original thread, like the first post and add your comments to it.

Oh and I merged this latest suggestion with the original BTW.

Thanks brogan. I see the search benefits but disagree because info, all info around a proposed feature should be together and not scattergunned all over in multiple forum / threads. This doesn't help the devs or add on authors. I'm not gonna argue this point further because I believe the benefits well outweigh search reasons and all for / against opinions already made by many people.

Top Bottom