XF 2.2 Why no URL portion for link forum

Mr Lucky

I am creating a link forum, but find there is no URL portion available.

The link of the forum is to the search result of a search to all posts by a member.

This seems very odd, is there a way to do this?

What purpose would it serve?

I've looked for this option before also. I've never thought to set a custom slug on a forum node, but I've wanted one for a link node more than a few times.

Say I want to link to some crazy URL with a long string and a bunch of parameters (like a search, or some AirTable URL). I can put that in a link node to get there, but it's only convenient if I'm there on that one page. If want to get there directly, it'd be nice to type whatever the slug is and have it redirect. "Use a browser bookmark" some will say. To them I reply with a resounding NO.

Or I could use that link node slug to link to something from elsewhere on the internet like a poor-man's TinyURL so the link is branded and memorable. If the node link is updated, so does the 301 but the slug remains so you keep your SEO juice or whatever the kids call it now. Easier than .htaccess or NGINX for simpler/temporary needs and is what I was expecting (at least partially) when I tried to use it in the past after having seen the option on other node types.

What I'm describing probably isn't even the how the underlying mechanics of a link node works, but there'd be lots of potential use-cases if you get creative.

I can count on the toes of one nostril how many times I have pasted a link forum URL within an XF forum or externally, but to each their own.

It looks like this issue has been fixed, thank you xenForo!

How you do that @Mr Lucky ?

How do I do what?
Yes, sorry my question was a bit imprecise.
Which bb-code do you use exactly or how do I have to create it to do this?

1705772087501.webp

Code:
[EMBED content="thread-218108"]https://xenforo.com/community/threads/url-portion-cannot-be-set-for-link-forum-nodes.218108/[/EMBED]

Top Bottom