Why is there no Mybb importer?

Isn't this a proper third party opportunity for someone, or should we all expect the XF developers to do all the import conversion add-ons?

As a bit of a reality check: My forums did use MyBB way back when before the original vB import.

People actually use MyBB? o_O
35b6t1e.jpg

I want to push this thread.

MyBB 1.6.10 is released today and (so far it's the last version of the 1.6 series) maybe it's the right time now to release an importer for MyBB?

I want to push this thread.

MyBB 1.6.10 is released today and (so far it's the last version of the 1.6 series) maybe it's the right time now to release an importer for MyBB?
Mike has only two hands to handle all XF improvements.

If anyone needs help importing from mybb to xf feel free to contact me.

I can help you out.

No stress, no worries! Smile and enjoy the new converted xf board :)

There are quite a lot of forums using MyBB. Here you can see the biggest.

http://www.hackforums.net/

Actually if that's the biggest forum has MyBB, phpBB is actually much more popular than it is MyBB. The largest forum and more registered users in the world called Gaia Online and the software you use is phpBB, here's a great site collects all forums, depending on the software you use (and not found any myBB filter)

http://www.big-boards.com/

I think phpBB is superior because it is more flexible in all aspects. It has more changes and most are free, and not to mention you can customize your phpBB site as you like, this is the formula for success of phpBB. Enter the site Gaia Online and see how good a site is ...

Actually if that's the biggest forum has MyBB, phpBB is actually much more popular than it is MyBB.
Not to speak for anyone else, but I don't think that was borbole's point :) phpBB is the most popular forum software in the world - this is not disputed. However, borbole was commenting that MyBB is actively used by quite a few forums, which is a different point altogether. I wouldn't dismiss MyBB simply because phpBB exists, because it has its own merits and people do use it.

More to the point, this thread is asking why there is no MyBB importer, so presumably anyone reading would already be on MyBB - so whether phpBB is superior or not isn't really relevant :) I've already shared my thoughts on the matter: XenForo has importers for phpBB, vB, and IPB, which covers the most popular forum packages. Anything else can likely do an interim import to one of these three. It would be nice to get a MyBB importer, but (in my personal and utterly unofficial opinion) I'd rather see resources being focussed on XenForo itself.

Not to speak for anyone else, but I don't think that was borbole's point :) phpBB is the most popular forum software in the world - this is not disputed. However, borbole was commenting that MyBB is actively used by quite a few forums, which is a different point altogether. I wouldn't dismiss MyBB simply because phpBB exists, because it has its own merits and people do use it.

More to the point, this thread is asking why there is no MyBB importer, so presumably anyone reading would already be on MyBB - so whether phpBB is superior or not isn't really relevant :) I've already shared my thoughts on the matter: XenForo has importers for phpBB, vB, and IPB, which covers the most popular forum packages. Anything else can likely do an interim import to one of these three. It would be nice to get a MyBB importer, but (in my personal and utterly unofficial opinion) I'd rather see resources being focussed on XenForo itself.

I clarify that I attempt to degrade a good software MyBB completely focused on his duties, but I meant that large sites using phpBB. Nothing more was a test, but as you said the issue of why there is an importer for MyBB, I created that should open two new importers for MyBB and SMF (minimum).

EDIT: I meant: I do not intend to demean MyBB.

I think phpBB is superior because it is more flexible in all aspects. It has more changes and most are free, and not to mention you can customize your phpBB site as you like, this is the formula for success of phpBB. Enter the site Gaia Online and see how good a site is ...
I giggled at phpBB being better because you can customise it... You can customise any forum, but it's a LOT easier customising a MyBB forum than a phpBB one.

Regardless of that, there are now at least services offered by multiple users regarding MyBB conversions. That was better than before where it was simply forgotten about. More people are going to want to move in the near future, that's for sure, so it could be good business for those offering conversion services.

I giggled at phpBB being better because you can customise it... You can customise any forum, but it's a LOT easier customising a MyBB forum than a phpBB one.

Regardless of that, there are now at least services offered by multiple users regarding MyBB conversions. That was better than before where it was simply forgotten about. More people are going to want to move in the near future, that's for sure, so it could be good business for those offering conversion services.

It is obvious that any forum software is customizable, but I mean for my phpBB is par excellence the best in that regard.

phpBB doesn't even have a hook system - every modification requires digging into the code and modify something. I won't call this "par excellence".
I would... but you left out the sub- before the excellence. :p
I have to state that XenForo (for me) has been one of the EASIEST forum scripts I've ever had the pleasure of modifying the styles on. Was leery at first, but after a little playing (and some help from folks like Shelley, Jake, Brogan and others) found how easy it was.

Continually bumping a thread isn't going to make it happen any sooner.

I'm sorry if you thought that this was my intention. My intention was to remember about this topic and to get more opinions on it so I may get a official reply like if there are plans for more importers and how important it is to the Xenforo staff.

Top Bottom