Why is there no Mybb importer?

MrHamster

Hello,

I want to know why is there no importer for Mybb? Mybb is one of the most used free forum scripts and it's constantly winning awards for being the best (free) forum software. I believe that a lot of admins don't settle their sites over to Xenforo because it's a pain to convert your forum from Mybb to phpBB3 and then to Xenforo. Also it's resulting in wrong formated posts and missing settings or having settings messed up.

I would like to see a Mybb importer for Xenforo! That would make it much easier for us!

Because any importers take lots of time to create, and the XenForo team consists only of two developers. It's not that easy.

according to google.

"powered by phpbb" About 807,000,000 results
"powered by mybb" About 218,000,000 results

i've personally gone the mybb > vb > xf route myself

all the data except passwords carried over

Oh i agree one should be native, i'd like to to see an impex like solution for xenforo, however several here do paid conversions from mybb through vb to XF for others.

FYI, MyBB is superior than phpBB. phpBB is more used than MyBB because phpBB has more hacks. Apparently a forum software is better if it has more hacks. So yeah, I do think that there is a demand in direct MyBB to XenForo converters.

Also I'm not sure if phpBB is really more often used than Mybb. PhpBB has just more of these automatic setup forum hostings. So you can create those forums in seconds by signing up with of one those providers, which leads to more phpBB forums in the web.

In all fairness, XenForo have importers for the three biggest competitors right now: phpBB, vBulletin, and IPB - which makes sense, as they're a two-man outfit and importers take a massive amount of effort to code. It'd be nice to have importers for every other bit of forum software (SMF and MyBB being but two examples), but I think I'd rather have to do an interim import and then have a far superior product at the end of it.

Yep, but the conversion from myBB -> phpBB3 -> Xenforo doesn't take that long though. Only quirk is the groups. If you have a large DB with customized groups it can take a bit to convert them to the default xenForo structure (if you haven't looked at the xenForo groups). That was what bit me - I had to move users from the default myBB ones into the default xenForo ones if I remember correctly. The mapping between myBB to phpBB3 to xenForo was not as clean as I wished it to be, but beggars can't be choosers. ;)

FYI, MyBB is superior than phpBB. phpBB is more used than MyBB because phpBB has more hacks. Apparently a forum software is better if it has more hacks. So yeah, I do think that there is a demand in direct MyBB to XenForo converters.
Yep... HostCrapper has a default install for phpBB3 - and that's what a lot of people use for their shared hosting their as it's "easy" to set up (but upgrading it to latest versions sucks).

I see several people here saying that myBB is popular, yet I've never seen actual forum using it. phpBB - I've seen many forums (not related to my phpBB work), SMF - sometimes, myBB - never.

It would be nice to have native convertor though :)

I found this list with the help of Google and I think it can give you a nice overview: http://www.thebiggestboards.com/mybb-forums.php

Also keep in mind that the importers of Xenforo aren't that great. Some are made for older versions and doesn't support the latest stable version and some are made by the community. So I think it's fair to say that the importers has a quite low priority for the Xenforo team so far.

I see several people here saying that myBB is popular, yet I've never seen actual forum using it. phpBB - I've seen many forums (not related to my phpBB work), SMF - sometimes, myBB - never.

It would be nice to have native convertor though :)
My forum uses it (approaching 500k posts), and I'm looking to convert to Xenforo. It's been a pain already thus far as I'm trying my best to find a method that retains passwords. Converting to different software and losing user passwords is killer. I'm in talks with a well known converter here though (Schmitz), and he's testing stuff so I have my fingers crossed that it goes how I want it to go. MyBB is very popular, and I'm one of the users here that believes a MyBB importer should be on the horizon.

I found this list with the help of Google and I think it can give you a nice overview: http://www.thebiggestboards.com/mybb-forums.php

Also keep in mind that the importers of Xenforo aren't that great. Some are made for older versions and doesn't support the latest stable version and some are made by the community. So I think it's fair to say that the importers has a quite low priority for the Xenforo team so far.
Note that the vBulletin importer only supports vB3.8 because up until a few weeks ago, XenForo was in a lawsuit involving stolen code, ideas, and intellectual property from the vBulletin 4 series.

The import system is actually quite nice to use, plugin to, and create things for. I'm sure that more importers will be coded after v1.2 is out (the point of building a bunch of importers for v1.1 and then having to update them all again within a few weeks to match your software is a waste of precious development time).

My forum uses it (approaching 500k posts), and I'm looking to convert to Xenforo. It's been a pain already thus far as I'm trying my best to find a method that retains passwords. Converting to different software and losing user passwords is killer. I'm in talks with a well known converter here though (Schmitz), and he's testing stuff so I have my fingers crossed that it goes how I want it to go. MyBB is very popular, and I'm one of the users here that believes a MyBB importer should be on the horizon.

I recently got user passwords working for another MyBB import. It uses a custom auth class I made, but the actual importing of the password information requires some doing as I use a double import method. You and Schmitz are welcome to contact me.

Fantastic. He's on the latter stages of it I believe, and if he can't keep passwords, I'll let him know that you know (he'll probably read this anyway lol). Thanks man, that's a huge life saver.

Jake Bunce, can you share your way of migration with others maybe? I know it's a business for some companies here to provide migration services for Mybb users but still.

Top Bottom