Why is my signature grey w/ no links active?

MikeMpls

On 1.2 Beta 1 my first attempt to save my signature was rejected because I (administrator) hadn't set my signature options.

I set my signature options to everything allowed/unlimited and was able to save my signature.

The signature now appears in grey, and no links are active?

What step did I miss? I can deal with the grey color, but I would at least like for the links to work.

There is a Style Property for signatures which determines the styling.

Does that kill the links, such that if you click on them, nothing happens?

It doesn't seem reasonable to to be able to edit user permissions regarding signatures only to have any or all of that overridden by default style properties.

I figured out where the grey is coming from (yes, the style properties), but why don't the links work? Here on XenForo.com my signature looks vaguely similar (different subject matter for the links), but the links are functional.

It doesn't, as you can see here in your own signature. Perhaps you've set 0 links to be allowed in the signature?

Unlimited links are allowed for administrators' signatures.

When I first tried to set my signature, I was blocked because there were too many links. I changed my persmissions and was able to edit my signature.

But on posts it now shows as all grey, links not active.

This is either permissions or an add-on.
If you can't resolve it, send me an admin login via conversation and I will take a look.

It may take some nurturing and thought to understand the system, but XenForo's permissions are the best I've seen. And once you understand them, it's dead simple. Basic rule of thumb:

Never overrules Allow which overrules Revoke which overrules Not Set / Inherit

As well as Brogan permissions guide in his last post, Jane Bunce has another on understanding permissions. Both of these guides are very helpful in understanding how Xenforo Permissions work.
OK... had to get this in for posterity's sake...
Now, when did @Jake Bunce decide to change his..... hmmm - how can we put this... operating environment?:ROFLMAO:

It may take some nurturing and thought to understand the system, but XenForo's permissions are the best I've seen. And once you understand them, it's dead simple. Basic rule of thumb:

Never overrules Allow which overrules Revoke which overrules Not Set / Inherit

Great for geeks and the enthusiastic crowd here, not so great for the consumer that simply wants to buy a product & understand it & work with it out of the box.

The KISS principle exists for a reason, and this is a good example. It's anything but intuitive to the end user.

Last edited:
Top Bottom