XF 2.1 Why is an unconfirmed user in the registered group?

Monkeytime

This is a test user I made. 2.1. The user registered, but didn't confirm their email yet in the attached pic. The user state is 'awaiting email confirmation', which is fine. But I would also think they would be in the 'unregistered/unconfirmed' user group. I discovered this when trying to send block notices to unconfirmed users awaiting approval. I solved that problem with two notices based on user state.

But what's the reason behind partially labeling a group 'unconfirmed' if it doesn't do that... what am I missing?

unconfirmed.webp

I think adding them to Registered is the default when someone registers regardless of the registration outcome. Even Rejected users (ie. people kicked by StopForumSpam) have this as their primary group. Rejected users still can't access the forums because of the status, similar to how banned users can login but won't see anything. Not sure if that's true with Awaiting Confirmation. I'd need to test.

The unregistered/unconfirmed user group does not contain any members.

It is used to apply permissions to guests and registered members who have not confirmed their accounts.

All registered accounts are automatically added to the registered user group, regardless of the account status.

Not sure if that's true with Awaiting Confirmation. I'd need to test.
My site is set to mandatory registration, and manual approval, to see any content. I can confirm that with both user states "awaiting email confirmation" and "awaiting approval", that those users can't see any content. The odd part though is, it's confusing where it's pulling this from, because I originally thought it was pulling it from the unregistered group designation, but clearly it's not.

The unregistered/unconfirmed user group does not contain any members.

It is used to apply permissions to guests and registered members who have not confirmed their accounts.

All registered accounts are automatically added to the registered user group, regardless of the account status.
The presentation to us is 4 user groups. But in fact there are only 3 user groups in the default code? And the 4th 'user group' labeled "unregistered" is not a user group and actually just a mechanism for permissions, but presented as a user group?

And now I'm wondering, is the Admin and Mod groups in fact also not groups? This would actually start to make sense.

Last edited:
Perhaps better to think of it as a special user group to which all non-logged in visitors are assigned by default while they are on the site?

Would that be accurate?

I understand now. But still, there is still legitimate confusion caused by the user group name itself. Suggest XF change "unregistered/unconfirmed" to "unregistered/guest", or "not logged in/guest", or "auto guest", or just "guest".

It's not a big deal but would help the next newbie that comes along.

Top Bottom