Why for free?

This is maybe the biggest free and open source project I'm working on at the moment

ckeditor for XenForo.

It's a lot harder than I thought it would be ..... A LOT harder. I'm kind of really hoping XenForo will add this (on their own) and I can discontinue the plan (don't expect a quick release)

View attachment 29990

Will you be doing something with the smiley manager? Judging by the screenshot it looks like another dropdown menu of death. Plans on smiley under text area during the cke integration?

Will you be doing something with the smiley manager? Judging by the screenshot it looks like another dropdown menu of death. Plans on smiley under text area during the cke integration?
First I need to get the default setup for ckedit to work.... Then I'll tweak it.

It'll either go the old IPB route with the smilies in a list you can scroll on the right or the vB router with a small "more" link to bring up some kind of pop-up.

First I need to get the default setup for ckedit to work.... Then I'll tweak it.

It'll either go the old IPB route with the smilies in a list you can scroll on the right or the vB router with a small "more" link to bring up some kind of pop-up.

hmmm both are 1990s (lacking innovation) if that makes sense to you. Though it's your project and your call.

displaying them in rows (like the happyplace) breaking onto a new line and use the scroll part as the category smiley switcher would be better imo. "more" is just another unneeded popup garbage we don't really need but like i said your project and time being spent on it.

hmmm both are 1990s (lacking innovation) if that makes sense to you. Though it's your project and your call.

displaying them in rows (like the happyplace) breaking onto a new line and use the scroll part as the category smiley switcher would be better imo. "more" is just another unneeded popup garbage we don't really need but like i said your project and time being spent on it.
The alternative then would be the old IPB way with the menu on the right that you could scroll up and down (3 or 4 in a row).

I like the happyplace modification... But if you have A LOT of smilies (2,000 for example), you're going to want to display them as easy & as quick as possible. That 1 roll at the bottom isn't as helpful for such a large scale and I don't think it would look so nice with more than 1 row down there (like to keep the editor compact)

The alternative then would be the old IPB way with the menu on the right that you could scroll up and down (3 or 4 in a row).

I like the happyplace modification... But if you have A LOT of smilies (2,000 for example), you're going to want to display them as easy & as quick as possible. That 1 roll at the bottom isn't as helpful for such a large scale and I don't think it would look so nice with more than 1 row down there (like to keep the editor compact.

I have high expectations when it comes to a smiley manager so please forgive me if I'm being blunt and to the point. And I do respect whatever direction you go with this.

Nobody, and I mean nobody will have 2000 smilies all of the same category/theme. That's what the switcher is for, to switch between category as these "2,000" smilies will be broken down into themed smilies. I have near on 200 smilies and they are on 1 and a half lines, your never going to get this issue of vasts amount of smilies breaking a layout and/or scrolling issues (your getting that now from the dropdown menu).

Eitherway, Developers and 3 party authors all have one thing in common, they cut corners when it comes to a smiley manager which is still a feature so I don't expect anything logical, fruitful or otherwise to surface till sometime in the next century which won't matter to me/us.

Eitherway, I thought I'd bring this up and was curious what plans you have for the smiley layout and as I predicted it'll be the same old, same old and that is not to disrespect your work but to merely stating a fact. Inph (developer of the happyplace) had some innovative ideas/plans for a smiley manager, I think he is the only person that appreciated the redundancy of current smiley layouts that most people seem to miss. On that note, goodluck with the project. :)

No one? Me.
I don't care to take the time to categorize smilies. So they all end up on 1 place. I'm not alone either.....

Offtopic.com which has almost 1,000 (last I knew) and neither does GiaOnline.com (largest forum on the internet, both on Big Boards) .... All 1 place and no categorizing.

But I will take it under advisement. I do admit that for those who do place things "in order" and/or have less smilies... That modification does look much nicer.

But I need a solution that will work for everyone If you know of one that I've not thought of.... Please let me know.

Just a little suggestion. I frequently donate to mod dev and pay people to help me with IT stuff but having to hunt for a donation button in the description of a mod is time consuming and I missed a few already (sorry slavik-your next though). :) Maybe if it would be possible to have a standard place on the mod page to make a donation to the developer? Because I'm code challenged :D, I have to read every single word of the mods instructions over and over again, then switch back and forth from this support forum, my admin panel, my FTP and host panel. While I'm trying to understand the mod, my mind isn't looking for a donation button within the instructions or description. :confused: So having a donate button in the same place for everyone would be great and much easier for the code challenged folks like this dame.

Just a little suggestion. I frequently donate to mod dev and pay people to help me with IT stuff but having to hunt for a donation button in the description of a mod is time consuming and I missed a few already (sorry slavik-your next though). :) Maybe if it would be possible to have a standard place on the mod page to make a donation to the developer? Because I'm code challenged :D, I have to read every single word of the mods instructions over and over again, then switch back and forth from this support forum, my admin panel, my FTP and host panel. While I'm trying to understand the mod, my mind isn't looking for a donation button within the instructions or description. :confused: So having a donate button in the same place for everyone would be great and much easier for the code challenged folks like this dame.

Paypal is illegal here... So I agree it would be cool if some of the developers here had donation buttons, as I have a few people I would like to donate too, but it would require that more of them sought to use alternatives (not paypal) as well.

No one? Me.
I don't care to take the time to categorize smilies. So they all end up on 1 place. I'm not alone either.....

Offtopic.com which has almost 1,000 (last I knew) and neither does GiaOnline.com (largest forum on the internet, both on Big Boards) .... All 1 place and no categorizing.

But I will take it under advisement. I do admit that for those who do place things "in order" and/or have less smilies... That modification does look much nicer.

But I need a solution that will work for everyone If you know of one that I've not thought of.... Please let me know.

I was going to walk away but meh, what the hell, I'm going to debate that point with you, more so the structure you are settling for. :D

You don't feel the need to catergorise your smilies? 2,000 of them? wouldn't categorizing them do them good? and isn't this out of choice that your not categorizing them? I could argue that by not categorizing them (switcher I stated above) your open to have 2,000 open all at once (overkill) when you click this "more smilies" (overly overly done popup window) .

Gaia whatever that dated site layout is looks like an old forum to me with an old outdated layout not exactly what I call a good example. Because they are a big board that doesn't distract that they use outdated layouts (look at the postbit) more so I expect the smilies structure to be outdated, bigboards don't reflect how good background admin/user level features will be.

I'm not trying to pursuade you, I'm just debating your points, experiences and how you feel structure should be and I'm posting back saying the solution is all over in my previous posts and dotted around on this forum with mockups I've made. Back onto catergorizing, you may feel you may not need it but you ask many of the people and hear what they want in the link in my signature and categorizing smilies backend/frontend is a must, the minority is people using 2,000+ smilies and with a catgergoy switcher this will reduce the clutter for those with vast amounts. Not to mention you try looking for a smilie within a popup window you want to use out of 2,000 smilies? difficult I'd say but if these are categorized well I don't need to explain how much easier that will be rather than resort to a dumping ground aka more smilies popup window.

I'll try and walk away at this point. :p *hobbles away*

Paypal is illegal here... So I agree it would be cool if some of the developers here had donation buttons, as I have a few people I would like to donate too, but it would require that more of them sought to use alternatives (not paypal) as well.

Oh ok I didn't know this. But now that I'm looking for it, I see a few paypal buttons in mod descriptions??? I'm confused.

Oh ok I didn't know this. But now that I'm looking for it, I see a few paypal buttons in mod descriptions??? I'm confused.
I think you misunderstood or maybe I explained it incorrectly, to which I do apologies.

For some of us (myself included), we can not use paypal. Some people here of course can. I was simply stating that it would be nice if more people here elected to use an alternative to paypal. The current lack there of, prevents some people from donating to others.

Would be really good for those of us who can not use paypal.

Google Checkout
Payza (once known as AlertPay)
Amazon
2 Checkout

There is a wide range of possible alternatives. :)

I think you misunderstood or maybe I explained it incorrectly, to which I do apologies.

For some of us (myself included), we can not use paypal. Some people here of course can. I was simply stating that it would be nice if more people here elected to use an alternative to paypal. The current lack there of, prevents some people from donating to others.

Oh ok I get. Why not use propay or google checkout?

Oh ok I get. Why not use propay or google checkout?
I can't speak for everyone, but I do use Google Checkout, Payza (once known as AlertPay), Amazon, and 2 Checkout.

However I would imagine they have the same issue as I do. Some of those will not allow you to accept donations unless you're a licensed and registered charity. I assume the technical way around that would be to not have it as a donation, but list it as a product... The flaw in that is since you're not actually selling something & using it more as a donation.... It takes 1 trolling user to report that and you're account with most of those would be terminated.

Top Bottom