XF 2.1 Why doesn't xenForo 2.1 allow thread length limits?

So we don't have people posting messages in titles like this anymore...

"How can I get my plant to grow in aquaponics when it was first planted in soil and we are using nutrients from Cali"

This has happened twice in the last week, we are confused why we didn't notice this sooner.

VBulletin always had a simple setting for title length, to avoid stuff like this.

We like to keep a tidy forum, and we have enough problems with our SEO being destroyed once changing to Xenforo, so we have to be diligent about everything connected to SEO, like changing titles of threads after they were made.

To be fair it wasn't clear (to me at least) that you were talking about thread titles length. It sounded to me like you were talking about the length of the thread itself, i.e. the number of posts allowed in a single thread.

To answer your actual question. Well, I'm not entirely sure I exactly have an answer other than we've not ever considered it to be required. The inclusion of any feature in any other software doesn't automatically compel us to include it in our own.

In case it's any help, you can control this manually if you want to, though it requires editing two templates.

The templates are:
  • forum_post_thread
  • thread_list_macros
In both cases you can find the same text:
HTML:
maxlength="{{ max_length('XF:Thread', 'title') }}"

And replace with:
HTML:
maxlength="50"

(Change 50 to whatever you desire the limit to be. It should be no greater than 150, which is the current limit).

For what it's worth, changing the title of a thread will have little to no impact on "SEO".

I'd still insist that falls into the category of "little to no impact" in this specific case, but I assume we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thank you Chris.

Yeah, you are right, Marc did not post the question clear enough at first.

Sorry about that and thank you for the code.

Thanks,
Rob

Top Bottom