Why does XF not hire developers or raise VC fund?

I kind of agree. for example a third developer could work on a CMS and Resources addon while kier and mike continue to work on the core

a staff could be hired to do custom install and import and depends on the size of the site charge an extra $50 - $100 or $250-$500 on larger sites to do an import
this could generate more income and not take away from the current development.

Man, I love threads like this, where the experts all chip in to tell someone how to run their company give advice. I see them all the time in my line of work: "Hey, I know you said you can't install dipsht-o-tron on the server, but I Googled it and it's easy to install - I did it on my own server here that I run on my laptop and it only took like 35 minutes. Here's a link to the installation instructions."

anyway, the original question, the "why doesn't XF raise VC funds" bit, sums up everything that's wrong with the world right now. Go! Raise VC funds! Don't bother building anything lasting, don't bother with a real business that can actually be profitable in the real world, and by all means don't ever do anything for more than a few years. If you aren't a billionaire in three years you obviously suck at what you're doing and need to immediately go start another company from scratch that doesn't make anything anyone needs. Just like your last one.

The technology industries have created a generation of confused beggars. The bottom already fell out of this world in 1999, but it appears that everyone just looked around after that and said, "whatever, lol," then got busy re-building exactly the same economy that failed so spectacularly in the first place. Only bigger. So here we are again. In a world where success isn't measured in profits, but rounds of funding. And no one seems to see a problem with that.

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Yes, by all means lads, go get you some of that FREE venture capital money! What could possibly go wrong?

Yes, by all means lads, go get you some of that FREE venture capital money! What could possibly go wrong?

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s18e01-go-fund-yourself
gdgsdfsg.webp

Hiring to speed up the creation of new products would be great (CMS, gallery)

Or not do that, and just focus on developing what XenForo is.. you know, a forum software? Leave things like a CMS and Gallery to add-on developers.. There is already a fantastic Gallery add-on. No need for XenForo to pour money into other crap. IMO the only reason the Resource Manager exists is because XenForo needed it for a way to let 3rd party developers/designers distribute (or at least advertise) their products. Putting extra time into something like a Gallery or CMS is just a waste of resources.

Or not do that, and just focus on developing what XenForo is.. you know, a forum software? Leave things like a CMS and Gallery to add-on developers.. There is already a fantastic Gallery add-on. No need for XenForo to pour money into other crap. IMO the only reason the Resource Manager exists is because XenForo needed it for a way to let 3rd party developers/designers distribute (or at least advertise) their products. Putting extra time into something like a Gallery or CMS is just a waste of resources.
Apple was just a desktop company... not saying that Xenforo is Apple but any company can create multiple products in within their technology. Google goes even further. You're right that it requires money, but that's why I posted this, which you didn't quote:

but these days hiring is very expensive. The way they do it now is cheap and they're sure of the quality.

But hiring is no guarantee for growth or success, as seen with vB.
Once they have the cash, they can grow and gain market share.

I simply have more trust that a XF CMS and gallery will be supported forever. With third parties, it's never a guarantee (remember vBSEO?).

BTW, if they ever get the idea to go public, think about the amount of shares that would be bought by the community. I mean, we know the potential, it would be a winner en xf could grow and beat competition in market share easily.

Last edited:
Man, I love threads like this, where the experts all chip in to tell someone how to run their company give advice. I see them all the time in my line of work: "Hey, I know you said you can't install dipsht-o-tron on the server, but I Googled it and it's easy to install - I did it on my own server here that I run on my laptop and it only took like 35 minutes. Here's a link to the installation instructions."

anyway, the original question, the "why doesn't XF raise VC funds" bit, sums up everything that's wrong with the world right now. Go! Raise VC funds! Don't bother building anything lasting, don't bother with a real business that can actually be profitable in the real world, and by all means don't ever do anything for more than a few years. If you aren't a billionaire in three years you obviously suck at what you're doing and need to immediately go start another company from scratch that doesn't make anything anyone needs. Just like your last one.

The technology industries have created a generation of confused beggars. The bottom already fell out of this world in 1999, but it appears that everyone just looked around after that and said, "whatever, lol," then got busy re-building exactly the same economy that failed so spectacularly in the first place. Only bigger. So here we are again. In a world where success isn't measured in profits, but rounds of funding. And no one seems to see a problem with that.

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Yep, then it's all about the money and damn the product.

Apple is also a multi-billion dollar company that can afford to hire thousands of people.
I mentioned this in my post, did you read it?

Anyway, every company starts out small, by going public it can grow very fast and open doors within years or even months. Apple basically became a giant in 4 years.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in my post, did you read it?

Anyway, every company starts out small, by going public it can grow very fast and open doors within years or even months. Apple basically became a giant in 4 years.
Company that makes mainstream products in growing markets, compared to a (still) startup company that is in a dwindling market that has more competition every year?

I honestly do not get why people who really have no clue what they're talking about give business advice to anyone.

Regarding raising VC funding....

words1.jpg

VC backed companies are all about an exit (selling out or going public, usually the former though). That's the last thing we want for an amazing product like XF.

Also, see the post by @mjp above.

Last edited:
I'm always puzzled at the XenForo white knights who say KAM do not need to listen to people, don't need any outside advice/feedback, don't need to add forum importers, etc. Hubris and a belief in their own superiority is how IB-run vBulletin got into its current situation.

It's great that XenForo is being successful, but when you start thinking you are above getting feedback and forget about how you got you where you are, you're setting yourself up for failure. I don't need to believe that KAM walk on water to believe in the software. Let the software speak for itself!

Strictly on the topic of raising venture capital, yes, it's all about the exit strategy and I'd rather not see XF go down that road. But there is nothing wrong with talking about importers. When you want to grow your product, the last thing you want to tell people is "Well we can't be bothered to write an importer from popular forum brand X but you can download phpBB and migrate through that". Make life easy for customers and they'll beat a path to your door.

when you start thinking you are above getting feedback and forget about how you got you where you are, you're setting yourself up for failure
Who is doing that?

With regards to specific features, such as importers, there is the suggestions forum.

This thread is nothing to do with the functionality of the software though, rather it is someone who feels the need to tell the company owners how to progress and grow their own company.
That is nobody's business but theirs.

Well we can't be bothered to write an importer from popular forum brand X but you can download phpBB and migrate through that

Its all about priorities really.

>95% or something of all migrations come from vBulletin 3+4.

So whilst having custom importers for every platform out there would be nice, its development time better spent elsewhere.

I have however, been toying with a new idea on importing, which may also solve this issue :)

rather it is someone who feels the need to tell the company owners how to progress and grow their own company.
The title of this thread is a clear indicator that it's a question, not a suggestion. :) If I had a suggestion to make, I'd direct email Ashley; not post it on the forum.

Plus, I began my question with following words:-
It's none of my business, but I genuinely care for XF and hope it stays successful.

I've no control over how people interpret my question. I tried to be as clear as I could.

As directors, you can pay yourself accordingly based on what's coming in the door vs expenses... you can't do this with employee's. There's a huge indifference between the two.
Is that a UK thing because here in the USA you can pay yourself whatever you want, doesn't matter if you have employees or not.

Or were you referring to the fact that you have to pay your employees on a consistent basis and as owners you can take draws as needed?

Is that a UK thing because here in the USA you can pay yourself whatever you want, doesn't matter if you have employees or not.

Or were you referring to the fact that you have to pay your employees on a consistent basis and as owners you can take draws as needed?

The latter

Top Bottom