Why does {$user.customFields.FieldID} not fetch the value?

TheBigK

Okay, I wish to display a custom user field (real name) in in place of the user id on XenPorta. I created a custom user field with field ID "realname" and in phrases where it says -

by {user} at {date}

I put -

by {$user.customFields.x} at {date}

I'm expecting the out put would be

By (real name entered by the user) at (date) as output.

What am I doing wrong?

For phrases vars, replacements are done where the phrase is called, not directly into the phrase.

You should leave the {user} replacement in the phrase, find where it is called, and call it this way:
Rich (BB code):
{xen:phrase whateverthephrasename, 'user={$user.customFields.x}', 'date={$whateverthedatevar}'}

Here's where it's being called -

Code:
<div class="messageContent baseHtml">
                    <div class="postedBy">
                        <span class="posted iconKey"><div class="sticky"></div>{xen:phrase by_x_at_y,
                            'user=<a href="{xen:link members, $news}" class="username">{$news.username}</a>',
                            'date=<a href="{xen:link threads, $news}">{xen:time $news.post_date, 'absolute'}</a>'}</span>
                        <span class="views">({xen:number $news.view_count} {xen:phrase views} / {xen:number $news.first_post_likes} {xen:phrase likes})</span>
                        <span class="comments iconKey"><div class="new"></div><a href="{xen:link threads/unread, $news}">{xen:number $news.reply_count} {xen:phrase comments}</a></span>
                    </div>

<div class="newsText">{xen:raw $news.messageHtml}</div>
                    <div class="clearFix"></div>
                </div>

I'm unable to get the real name of the author display o_O

You need to change $news.username, however depending on how XenPorta constructs the $news variable in the controller, custom fields may not be present in the data.

As King stated, customFields are not fetched in XenPorta's RecentNews block.

You should first add these lines in the file library/EWRporta/Block/RecentNews.php

Find, on line 40:
Rich (BB code):
		foreach ($news AS &$post)
		{

Replace with (add the red code):
Rich (BB code):
		foreach ($news AS &$post)
		{
			$fieldModel = $this->getModelFromCache('XenForo_Model_UserField');
			$customFields = $fieldModel->prepareUserFields($fieldModel->getUserFields(
				array(),
				array('valueUserId' => $post['user_id'])
			));
			$post['customFields'] = $customFields;

Then in the template, replace with the red code:
Rich (BB code):
<div class="messageContent baseHtml">
                    <div class="postedBy">
                        <span class="posted iconKey"><div class="sticky"></div>{xen:phrase by_x_at_y,
                            'user=<a href="{xen:link members, $news}" class="username">{$news.customFields.x.field_value}</a>',
                            'date=<a href="{xen:link threads, $news}">{xen:time $news.post_date, 'absolute'}</a>'}</span>
                        <span class="views">({xen:number $news.view_count} {xen:phrase views} / {xen:number $news.first_post_likes} {xen:phrase likes})</span>
                        <span class="comments iconKey"><div class="new"></div><a href="{xen:link threads/unread, $news}">{xen:number $news.reply_count} {xen:phrase comments}</a></span>
                    </div>

<div class="newsText">{xen:raw $news.messageHtml}</div>
                    <div class="clearFix"></div>
                </div>

Note that you should test whether the field has a value before inserting it in place of the username. I recommend using
Code:
{xen:if $news.customFields.x.hasValue, $news.customFields.x.field_value, $news.username}
instead of just
Code:
{$news.customFields.x.field_value}

Super! That really works. I just had to replace 'twitter' with 'realname' (which is my custom filed) and it worked. Tried this on test site and will make it work on my live site soon :) . Thanks a TON!

I can't get this to work for me...

I have a page with user groups that list members in each group. Of the information I'm trying to retrieve is a custom field. I'm trying:

$user.customFields.taste.techno

Where taste is the fieldId of the custom field, and techno is an option from a drop down box. I've been hacking away at it for a while now and having no luck.

The best I seem to be able to do is retrieve the fields from the User Profile model, unserialize it, and var_dump the fields. Matching them to a user's selection shouldn't be necessary - shouldn't I be able to use the above line of code? ($user.customFields.taste.techno).

Any ideas?
Thanks

Top Bottom