Why do we do this? QUIZ!

Morgain

Not so very off topic but my questions are for ALL kinds of admin, not only XF.
Please - copy/ paste the questions into your reply to make it easy to compare. One day if this gets quite a few replies I might do an analysis.

1. How long ago did you start your first forum?

2. How many forums have you worked on as admin?

3. Why did you want to run a forum when you started?

4. Why do you do it now? (if your first forum was more than 3 months ago)

5. What's the BEST and the WORST about being an admin?

6. Further comment.

1 - About 10 Years ago, I was 9 by the time, when I started my first forum. Today I admin one with more than 50 thousand members in a forum with 7 years old! ^^ It's not xenforo but it will be, other admins don't like XF because we would need to lose the blogs, albums, calendar to change to XF.

2 - More than 15 I Guess, today I just admin 3, mine is reaaaaally big and then the work there take almost all my time, but still help in others, one of them is an XF forum.

3 - I love communities, in foruns we can know people, post and talk about alot of things, they are a big source of good contents, we LEARN ALOT using foruns, every day there is persons posting interesting things.

4 - ------

5 - Best: In my case that felling of people using our forum, posting, making friends, learning new things, and every day the forum is growing, is nice see people like and use something we created for them. :)
Worst: Work, Trolls, Site Dang Erros, Upgrades, Bills.

6 - Hi! :rolleyes:

Maybe 1998? So maybe 13 years ago?

5 or 6.

Wanted to preserve information about one model of a car which was getting lost on defunct websites.

Satisfaction that I am providing a resource to others.

Seeing members help each other.
Drama

6. Further comment.

Please - copy/ paste the questions into your reply to make it easy to compare. One day if this gets quite a few replies I might do an analysis.

6. Further comment.

1. 10+years
2. Too many
3. Passion to create a large community and doing something I enjoyed which proved to be successful
4. Providing content, sharing knowledge to people.
5. When development (styling has finished and your ready to open registrations) I see any forum I upload as a testbed.
6. No comment.

I guess I should do it too!

Around 1997 - e207.

Five I think plus a lot of email lists.

Because I love people in community. Had run many physical groups for 20 years and saw the potential of online version.

I became disabled (a bit) so even more the online version is the expression of community needs.
Also I am fascinated by the design aspect - to genuinely create something that looks beautiful, and functions smoothly. Forum culture with its tweaks and add-ons puts me in heaven.

Best is all the above and seeing it come together - people - design - software. Also THIS kind of community of admins HERE.
Worst is CSS which I do not love. Prefer specific code commands in each place, not global rigidity.

6. Further comment. Hope others enjoy this.

7-8years back.

8-10

Because that's what we needed . Bunch of us were mostly interested in online Radio streaming site and the place where i was admin they refused to add it . We had a nice team . Site was up for 2years or so then was sold due to various reasons.

I love fishing and there's not a single website about fishing for the city where you can find useful information . I talked to lots of people who were interested in similar community sites and in mean time xenforo was around and i was impressed where it was going .

You will meet /make some great friends through online and some times few of them are your worst nighmares . My latest board i know most of my members/staffs teams in real life . We all do get together once in a while , share some stories and do some fishing together . You can't make everyone happy . Sometimes you need to draw line between virtual world and real world and stop mixing feeling into that .

6. Further comment.

LoL that was all funny i guess.

Almost 10 years.

Lack of good information on the web in my country's language + got frustrated with the other forums.

It's a lifestyle, a hobby, a job, and it's fun. You can help thousands of people with information & support and personally receive positive feedback from them, not many people can say that about their job.

Best: the feeling that you have changed peoples life for the better, and provided a place for others to do the same. Worst: it may destroy your social life.

6. Further comment.

It takes a lot of time and effort to create and maintain a great community, but in the end it's all worth it.

About 6 years ago.

4-5

I couldn't find a board that did things the way I wanted, so rather than complain I did my own.

See #3

Interacting with people=best Interacting with people=worst

6. Further comment.
I enjoy it for the most part, I like challenges and building a good forum is a challenge.

Top Bottom