Why did you start an online community ?

It started as fun, "now it's a full time job" and in the near future we're starting a own company because we have so much work:D

are you making monkey out of it ?
Yes, we coded some greasemonkey scripts for vBulletin:D *scnr*

I'll move this to offtopic.

While an interesting subject, I don't think it has to do with pre-sale questions about XenForo, nor is it feedback about XenForo.

Presales -> off topic

I set mine up to kill time between web design jobs.

Then one of the major cycling forums merged with another and overnight I got a few hundred new members who didn't like the merger. It's just built up from there really, and takes up quite a lot of my free time now. I make enough money to offset some of the server rental, but it's really a labour of love.

The great thing about CycleChat.net is that it brings people together offline too.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I acquired my forum for fun and because I enjoy it. Sadly it's very slow right now and I don't have that much time to take care of it.

I still enjoy it though, only it's no longer active as it used to. I'm trying to find more time now and then to spend at reviving the forum.

No, I don't make any money out of it. I didn't acquire it for money! :)

I started mine because of an interest in all sorts of Modding for the PC...

It quickly turned into a forum that deals with Modded Microsoft Operating Systems and Unattended Installs.

And it continues to evolve and change with the times...

Regards..

I acquired my forum for fun and because I enjoy it. Sadly it's very slow right now and I don't have that much time to take care of it.

I still enjoy it though, only it's no longer active as it used to. I'm trying to find more time now and then to spend at reviving the forum.

No, I don't make any money out of it. I didn't acquire it for money! :)
ditto, almost word for word.

My first forum started because my car is the ******* step-child of the BMW world.
I got tired of all the kids making fun of us.
We needed a place to call out own.

Got tired of using Google everytime I had a problem I didn't know how to solve and figured if I wrote it down somewhere, more people than just me would benefit.

My community came before the forum - so I guess you could say the forum was created out of necessity :)

It's all just a hobby for me and I don't profit from it at all, but nor do I pay significantly out of pocket for it.

My first forum was created from a project I was working on on another forum. When the site/forum announced it would be closing, I moved my stuff over to its own forum to keep it going. Unfortunately, it kind of fizzled out, lol.
The new forum I'm building with XF exists due to my love of music and the desire to have an internet radio station as a hobby, but with a more user-friendly experience. :) (it also gave me an excuse to buy a license ;))

Created it because someone I know was making tonnes of money out of their very popular forum. Luckily i created it in the niche where i work in, so never felt like additional work. Surprisingly it got more and more popular with google sending about 85% traffic, and now i make a decent amout on money out of it after subtracting costs. Considering quitting my job for full time web administration now... :)

Top Bottom