Why can't I find xenForo in the trademark database?

Click the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forums.

XenForo Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales with company number 07294282 and registered office at 24 Oak Tree Rd, Tilehurst, RG31 6JX.

Click the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forums.

But the xenForo name & logo does not appear to be trademarked...

Unless registering a company automatically trademarks everything to do with it and doesn't list it in the trademark database...

Just because a trademark isn't officially registered doesn't make it not a trademark. Registering just adds an extra level of protection. You would know if it was a registered trademark because they would use the ® symbol.

Just because a trademark isn't officially registered doesn't make it not a trademark. Registering just adds an extra level of protection. You would know if it was a registered trademark because they would use the ® symbol.

It says in the footer:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.

I think the "TM" after XenForo stands for trademark?

True, but an unregistered trademark is virtually worthless, as some don't recognize that as an actual trademark. In fact, if Xenforo was registered, they would probably loose the trademark because of all the fansites using Xenforo in the name.

It says in the footer:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.

I think the "TM" after XenForo stands for trademark?

Just to confirm, the ® symbol would be on the logo if it was registered. but it would stated "Xenforo is a registered trademark of Xenforo Ltd in the footer. I know, as I own a trademark ;)

An infringement of a common law trademarks (™) can still be held up in most western courts such as the USA, Canada, UK and Australia, just as an example. You can still sue someone if the CL trademark is currently in use, just not to the same extent as a registered trademark (®). Registered trademarks are also protected for a period of time, unlike common law trademarks which expire when the company is defunct or no longer used.

Why does anyone give a rat's about these things anyhow? Put your spare time to better use, my friend.

An infringement of a common law trademarks (™) can still be held up in most western courts such as the USA, Canada, UK and Australia, just as an example. You can still sue someone if the CL trademark is currently in use, just not to the same extent as a registered trademark (®). Registered trademarks are also protected for a period of time, unlike common law trademarks which expire when the company is defunct or no longer used.

Why does anyone give a rat's about these things anyhow? Put your spare time to better use, my friend.

For what it is worth, you typed out a lot of **** to end it all with:

Put your spare time to better use, my friend.

Contrary to popular misconception, registering a company does not give you automatic protection. And not everything can be trademarked in the UK, you cannot trademark anything generic. However if you have been using a unique logo for a long time then if someone steals this, you'd have a very strong case in court to prove it should be rightfully yours and they were passing off. Similarly if it's not registered and some third party now tried to register it, it would be highly unlikely to survive an objection by Xenforo.

Liam is right, at this point in time, Xenforo or the logo is not officially registered as a trademark according to the IPO database.

Top Bottom