1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I find xenForo in the trademark database?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Liam W, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Click the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forums.

3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

But the xenForo name & logo does not appear to be trademarked...

Unless registering a company automatically trademarks everything to do with it and doesn't list it in the trademark database...

4. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

6. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Just search for XenForo here: http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/

You'll see it there :)

7. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Probobly due to the potential cost of officially registering via the ipo...

8. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

9. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Just because a trademark isn't officially registered doesn't make it not a trademark. Registering just adds an extra level of protection. You would know if it was a registered trademark because they would use the ® symbol.

10. chulapi

chulapi Member

It says in the footer:
    Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.

I think the "TM" after XenForo stands for trademark?

HWS likes this.
  11. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

True, but an unregistered trademark is virtually worthless, as some don't recognize that as an actual trademark. In fact, if Xenforo was registered, they would probably loose the trademark because of all the fansites using Xenforo in the name.

12. Thom Tyler

Thom Tyler Well-Known Member

Just to confirm, the ® symbol would be on the logo if it was registered. but it would stated "Xenforo is a registered trademark of Xenforo Ltd in the footer. I know, as I own a trademark ;)

13. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

@Liam W

Just general question of curiosity, but why do you care if XenForo has a registered trademark or not? What is prompting you to suddenly look up the details of XenForo Ltd. ? o_O

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  14. Stallyon

Stallyon Active Member

An infringement of a common law trademarks (™) can still be held up in most western courts such as the USA, Canada, UK and Australia, just as an example. You can still sue someone if the CL trademark is currently in use, just not to the same extent as a registered trademark (®). Registered trademarks are also protected for a period of time, unlike common law trademarks which expire when the company is defunct or no longer used.

Why does anyone give a rat's about these things anyhow? Put your spare time to better use, my friend.

Adam Howard likes this.
  15. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, you typed out a lot of **** to end it all with:

Jon W likes this.
  16. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

It was just something I was wondering, that's all. Nothing wrong with that I hope?

17. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular misconception, registering a company does not give you automatic protection. And not everything can be trademarked in the UK, you cannot trademark anything generic. However if you have been using a unique logo for a long time then if someone steals this, you'd have a very strong case in court to prove it should be rightfully yours and they were passing off. Similarly if it's not registered and some third party now tried to register it, it would be highly unlikely to survive an objection by Xenforo.

Liam is right, at this point in time, Xenforo or the logo is not officially registered as a trademark according to the IPO database.

Adam Howard likes this.