Why are you running an EOL version of PHP?

Why are you still running an EOL version of PHP?

• I don't have access to upgrade PHP myself, and the server owner won't do it for me

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I can't upgrade because other software I use requires an old version of PHP

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • I lack the technical know-how to upgrade PHP

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • I don't consider updating PHP to be particularly important

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I’m running PHP 7.latest and that’s fine for me

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • I’m running PHP 8 🥳

Votes: 89 65.0%

• Total voters
I just get blank pages for WordPress 5.7.x under PHP8.

Any plugins or themes that aren't compatible? We've got WordPress 5.7.2 running without issue on a few sites using PHP 8 without any issues but all of them are using the XPress theme bridge so I'm not 100% sure on specific theme compatibilities

Any plugins or themes that aren't compatible? We've got WordPress 5.7.2 running without issue on a few sites using PHP 8 without any issues but all of them are using the XPress theme bridge so I'm not 100% sure on specific theme compatibilities
Yes. At the very least, I know that Wordfence is not yet fully compatible and that's not a plugin I want to disable. I expect that by the time WordPress 5.8 comes out most plugins will have been updated: most are already working on that.

I just get blank pages for WordPress 5.7.x under PHP8.
Every site I've tested (about a dozen of them) react differently. I'm leaving all WP sites on 7.4.x

As I said, fortunately my main xf site which uses as WP front-end throws no error codes at all on 8.0.6

Try enabling debugging and check your logs

Personally I didn't put forth any more effort than a quick test. If any issues whatsoever, I just reverted back to 7.4.x in php-multi

I don't think I'm even going to try again anytime soon.

It would make the migration a lot quicker if people could be bothered to check their logs and report the issues to the the plugin devs and theme authors.

I made about 10 reports back in December shortly after PHP8 came out and most of the plugin authors were very receptive and have all rolled out fixes by now. Probably why I can now run most of my sites on PHP8.

I have a lot of custom addons built by @xfrocks and I tried to upgrade to 8.0.6 last week. It caused issue with one of his addons. After sending him the error log, he worked with me to update the addon. Great dev.
I could have waited longer to update but I still will run into issue with addons such as mine so the sooner we can test and inform the dev, the better we all can move to PHP 8.

I know that Wordfence is not yet fully compatible and that's not a plugin I want to disable.

I have it enabled and it works fine, they just leave the caveat that there may still be undiscovered issues. I've not found any yet.

Currently they only include a dismissible warning that they may be compatibility issues, depending on your environment.

Wordfence said:
Many users may be able to use WordPress 5.6+ and Wordfence without issue, but should still be mindful there may be undiscovered bugs that could cause problems.

On new site builds with minimal plugins we think being fully up-to-date could be an advantage going forward, but you should still be prepared to potentially experience some edge-case issues:

This has been their same stance for the last 5 months. Seems they're just not ready to guarantee full PHP8 compatibility, but for most it will probably work fine.

I just tested a staging version of a Wordpress site with 40 active up to date plugins on PHP8 for the first time since December and it seems to be working fine with no errors logged so far. Quite surprised about that one, tbh. That might mean I can switch all my sites over soon.

Last edited:
Updated one of my forums to PHP 8. First I got a blank site, then I've enabled a few PHP extensions and it is working great so far.

How to installed ImageMagick PHP extensions? At this time, the software Imagick has not been updated yet to be compatible with PHP 8.0.

How to installed ImageMagick PHP extensions? At this time, the software Imagick has not been updated yet to be compatible with PHP 8.0.

For me it's because I am waiting for my hosting provider to upgrade.

They have to phase it out over a few months so people are prepared for the change.

Otherwise, I am all for moving to the latest and greatest any time!

For me it's because I am waiting for my hosting provider to upgrade.

They have to phase it out over a few months so people are prepared for the change.

Otherwise, I am all for moving to the latest and greatest any time!

Does your hosting provider use cPanel? If so there's no reason they have to phase out old versions, you can make any PHP version up to 8.1 available for selection through cpanel per account (and even more in depth per specific domain / subdomain). Sounds more like it's time to find a better host :)

Does your hosting provider use cPanel? If so there's no reason they have to phase out old versions, you can make any PHP version up to 8.1 available for selection through cpanel per account (and even more in depth per specific domain / subdomain). Sounds more like it's time to find a better host :)
Yeah, but I find hosting providers can lag on stuff. It's one of the downsides of shared hosting. My provider had 7.4 as the max until a maintenance window they did in March. My records (I keep a thread for this stuff in the private admin forum) say I switched to 8.0 when I upgraded to 2.2.9.

Top Bottom