Why are you running an EOL version of PHP?

Why are you still running an EOL version of PHP?

• I don't have access to upgrade PHP myself, and the server owner won't do it for me

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I can't upgrade because other software I use requires an old version of PHP

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • I lack the technical know-how to upgrade PHP

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • I don't consider updating PHP to be particularly important

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I’m running PHP 7.latest and that’s fine for me

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • I’m running PHP 8 🥳

Votes: 89 65.0%

• Total voters
server load is up significantly.
That doesn't look right; I haven't seen a significant change in resource usage when migrating from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.0. It's likely that something else is going on. You may want to try profiling it.

@briansol are you saying that no imagick PECL is even available for PHP8? If so, that could be a major reason for NOT upgrading.
You almost certainly shouldn't be using ImageMagick anyway according to the PHP extension devevelopers--and that isn't just paranoia on the part of the devs; ImageMagick security is a mess. The infamous CVE-2016-3714 ("ImageTragick") was widely exploited, although most XenForo installations probably weren't vulnerable, at least without some added creativity on the part of an attacker.

It's possible to run ImageMagick in a relatively secure way by isolating it, but if you only have a single server, it's probably not a great idea, and you should probably take this as an opportunity to stop using it or move it to its own server (which can be running a different version of PHP).

on 8.0.5 for a day now (since 1700), no noticeable increases in speed.
even enabled the JIT settings
server load is up significantly.
no imagick support

build imagick from their master branch :)

Bash:
php -v
PHP 8.0.6 (cli) (built: May  6 2021 16:50:48) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.0.6, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.0.6, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
Bash:
php --ri imagick

imagick

imagick module => enabled
imagick module version => @PACKAGE_VERSION@
imagick classes => Imagick, ImagickDraw, ImagickPixel, ImagickPixelIterator, ImagickKernel
Imagick compiled with ImageMagick version => ImageMagick 6.9.12-11 Q16 x86_64 2021-05-04 https://imagemagick.org
Imagick using ImageMagick library version => ImageMagick 6.9.12-11 Q16 x86_64 2021-05-04 https://imagemagick.org
ImageMagick copyright => (C) 1999-2021 ImageMagick Studio LLC
ImageMagick release date => 2021-05-04
ImageMagick number of supported formats:  => 244
ImageMagick supported formats => 3FR, 3G2, 3GP, AAI, AI, APNG, ART, ARW, AVI, AVS, BGR, BGRA, BGRO, BIE, BMP, BMP2, BMP3, BRF, CAL, CALS, CANVAS, CAPTION, CIN, CIP, CLIP, CMYK, CMYKA, CR2, CR3, CRW, CUR, CUT, DATA, DCM, DCR, DCX, DDS, DFONT, DNG, DOT, DPX, DXT1, DXT5, EPDF, EPI, EPS, EPS2, EPS3, EPSF, EPSI, EPT, EPT2, EPT3, ERF, EXR, FAX, FILE, FITS, FRACTAL, FTP, FTS, G3, G4, GIF, GIF87, GRADIENT, GRAY, GRAYA, GROUP4, GV, H, HALD, HDR, HISTOGRAM, HRZ, HTM, HTML, HTTP, HTTPS, ICB, ICO, ICON, IIQ, INFO, INLINE, IPL, ISOBRL, ISOBRL6, J2C, J2K, JBG, JBIG, JNG, JNX, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPG, JPM, JPS, JPT, JSON, K25, KDC, LABEL, M2V, M4V, MAC, MAGICK, MAP, MASK, MAT, MATTE, MEF, MIFF, MKV, MNG, MONO, MOV, MP4, MPC, MPG, MRW, MSL, MSVG, MTV, MVG, NEF, NRW, NULL, ORF, OTB, OTF, PAL, PALM, PAM, PANGO, PATTERN, PBM, PCD, PCDS, PCL, PCT, PCX, PDB, PDF, PDFA, PEF, PES, PFA, PFB, PFM, PGM, PGX, PICON, PICT, PIX, PJPEG, PLASMA, PNG, PNG00, PNG24, PNG32, PNG48, PNG64, PNG8, PNM, POCKETMOD, PPM, PREVIEW, PS, PS2, PS3, PSB, PSD, PTIF, PWP, RADIAL-GRADIENT, RAF, RAS, RAW, RGB, RGBA, RGBO, RGF, RLA, RLE, RMF, RW2, SCR, SCT, SFW, SGI, SHTML, SIX, SIXEL, SPARSE-COLOR, SR2, SRF, STEGANO, SUN, SVG, SVGZ, TEXT, TGA, THUMBNAIL, TIFF, TIFF64, TILE, TIM, TTC, TTF, TXT, UBRL, UBRL6, UIL, UYVY, VDA, VICAR, VID, VIDEO, VIFF, VIPS, VST, WBMP, WEBM, WEBP, WMF, WMV, WMZ, WPG, X, X3F, XBM, XC, XCF, XPM, XPS, XV, XWD, YCbCr, YCbCrA, YUV

Directive => Local Value => Master Value
imagick.locale_fix => 0 => 0
imagick.skip_version_check => 0 => 0
imagick.progress_monitor => 0 => 0
imagick.set_single_thread => 0 => 0
imagick.shutdown_sleep_count => 10 => 10

Last edited:
Here the load goes up briefly, but as soon as the caches are updated, after about 10 minutes. the load drops back to normal values.

Here JIT is used with the following values:
Code:
opcache.enable=1 
opcache.jit_buffer_size=100M
opcache.jit=1255

That doesn't look right; I haven't seen a significant change in resource usage when migrating from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.0. It's likely that something else is going on. You may want to try profiling it.
yeah, it's a work in progress. Not sure what's causing it, but my top processes are all my user account for my main website and php tasks.

so, i tried building from source and i get stuck on
Code:
 phpize && ./configure
bash: phpize: command not found

I've tried to install the php-devl tools a few different ways and it says it's installed but still doesn't work so i'm stuck.

Here the load goes up briefly, but as soon as the caches are updated, after about 10 minutes. the load drops back to normal values.

Here JIT is used with the following values:
Code:
opcache.enable=1
opcache.jit_buffer_size=100M
opcache.jit=1255
I'm running those same settings. (used the same tutorial :D )

Last edited:
it might just be me, but i'm sticking with php 7.4.xx for now. re=installed and my loads instantly are restored to previous levels.

php7.webp

For those running Debian/Ubuntu:
https://deb.sury.org/ has binary packages ready for install.

This personal repository is maintaied by Ondřej Surý who is also offical maintainer for PHP in Debian

I strongly recommend these APT repos for anyone on a Debian derivative, including Ubuntu. The Ubuntu repo is slightly less polished than the Debian repo in that the versioning is sometimes at odds with Canonical, resulting dangling packages when upgrading, but the majority of users should never notice--and it's still far better than what Canonical ships.

@briansol, there's a pretty good chance you're just sweeping the issue under the rug by downgrading. You should really profile your site to figure out the cause; there's probably an add-on doing something it shouldn't, and it's only obvious in PHP 8.0 because it's stricter than PHP 7.x. You may also want to try disabling AVX JIT depending on your hardware and other workloads on the server.

@MisakiTaro, is that a VPS or shared hosting? If it's a VPS, you may need to update it.

yeah, it's a work in progress. Not sure what's causing it, but my top processes are all my user account for my main website and php tasks.

so, i tried building from source and i get stuck on
Code:
 phpize && ./configure
bash: phpize: command not found

I've tried to install the php-devl tools a few different ways and it says it's installed but still doesn't work so i'm stuck.

I'm running those same settings. (used the same tutorial :D )
Same here. php-devel is installed but it can't find phpize.

@djbaxter and @briansol, if you're on an RHEL-derived distro (e.g., CentOS), you may need to use zts-phpize instead of phpize. Other than that, there shouldn't be any difference.

Scratch that. Make sure you also have php-cli installed.

I do have php-cli installed as well. Just a no go even following the instructions in the video tutorial to the letter.

Google searches are no help.

Out of curiosity, do you have a file named /opt/remi/php80/root/usr/bin/phpize? If so, you probably have a multi-version setup using Remi's repo. I don't use CentOS much, but reinstalling using the instructions here for "Type of installation: Default / Single version (simplest way)" will likely get you to a state that's easier to use.

Just updated to 8.0.5 and so far so good :)
FYI, PHP 8.0.6 is latest

Bash:
php -v
PHP 8.0.6 (cli) (built: May  6 2021 16:50:48) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.0.6, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.0.6, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

Same here. php-devel is installed but it can't find phpize.
cPanel has some sort of PHP multi-version system on it, so you definitely need to know which version of PHP is linked to the version your using in bash I'd have thought? I'm in a similar situation, I have cPanel as well.

Top Bottom