Why am I having such a hard time with shared hosts?

My traffic has been going up and up and yesterday my traffic tripled and stupid HAWK Host went back to throttling my forum. I am done playing games with them I have ordered another 1GB VPS with Wiredtree. I am going to see how my website runs and maybe try and split the VPS with some one if I am not using all the resources.

Just to drop in on this, i used to have a VPS with Linode, however quickly found out that life without Cpanel or any equivalent is a right royal pain in the rear, so have now moved onto a VPS from futurehosting.com. Only a week in, however their Tech support seem very on the ball, and no major problems as of yet....

Paul

Just to drop in on this, i used to have a VPS with Linode, however quickly found out that life without Cpanel or any equivalent is a right royal pain in the rear, so have now moved onto a VPS from futurehosting.com. Only a week in, however their Tech support seem very on the ball, and no major problems as of yet....

Paul
Wiredtree uses cPanel and is fully managed, but they cost a lot more then Linode. But for the sake of my sanity its well worth it! :cool:

It's very hard, if not impossible, to find a shared host which doesn't fill their servers to the brim (aka, overloading).

If you have a well trafficed site, get a hybrid VPS, a VPS with guaranteed resources, or a dedicated server.

If you pay peanuts, expect to have problems with speed/reliability. (in my opinion :P)

I was on bluehost when I was on shared, then moved to Linode and have been there ever since. If you can manage without a cpanel, Linode is the way to go. I have been cpanelless for so long, I can't even think of any benifit it would bring me at this point.

Russ

I've managed to find a great host using www.webhostingtalk.com I currently use Stable Host - www.stablehost.com

The first site is great to ask questions and find out what you want to know, and you tend to find they are reliable as they do not want bad publicity. Stable Host have regular discounts and promotions which is great. I've been through several hosts over the years; shared, VPS, etc. This one has been the best by far for me.

I was on bluehost when I was on shared, then moved to Linode and have been there ever since. If you can manage without a cpanel, Linode is the way to go. I have been cpanelless for so long, I can't even think of any benifit it would bring me at this point.
No benefits. In fact, things like cpanel slow you down if you know how to manage a unix-style system.

A shell, perl and a text editor is really all you need. Spare that clicking horror for Windows admins :)

Top Bottom