Why am I having such a hard time with shared hosts?

Gregory Lynn

Can some one please help me understand why I am having such a hard time with hosts? I was with Hawk Host and they kept CPU throttling my forum, I thought no big deal my forum is kind of busy.

So I moved the forum to a VPS with Wiredtree and I never had any problems with the website. And then activity on my forum slowed to a crawl and my wife wouldn't let me pay for the VPS anymore because my activity was so low.

So I moved the forum to Host Gator and the forum kept timing out every 4~8 clicks, after 3 trouble tickects and putting up with that for a week I moved back to Hawk Host.

I figured because my activity is down that I would be fine on hawk host for now. Come to find out Hawk Host has once again throttled my CPU twice in a row. Hawk Host said if it becomes a problem I am going to need advanced hosting. I asked them what the problem is and they says my website is sending too many requests to the server causing a high CPU load. Well I have only been back with Hawk Host 2 days, so they have CPU throttled the forum 100% of the time (as in two days in a row at different times) I have been back.

I really am at the end of my rope here, how can I run a successful forum if I am always having problems with shared hosting. The forum runs fine on a VPS but I have 75 members, and its not very active. Should the forum not run well on shared hosting? How can I track down whats causing so many requests?

P.S. thank you for your time.

Because in my opinion shared hosting is dead, at least to me. It doesn't give you the control it needs, it won't come with a super user account, and they tend to oversell it ..

Find another host.

I'm on shared hosting which costs just £50 per year, and I have virtually no problems at all, with an average of 80 or so visitors online, peaking at over 150.

Find another host.

I'm on shared hosting which costs just £50 per year, and I have virtually no problems at all, with an average of 80 or so visitors online, peaking at over 150.
Well IDK of any other good hosts besides Hawk Host, Host Gator, and MDD Hosting and I had a fall out with MDD hosting! :cry:

I'm with Hawkhost and have roughly the same activity as you and haven't had any problems such as that. Sucks to hear!

See if anyone wants to do a VPS share? Or as I have done in the past, I have a dedi server which is underused, and I sold out some space to people. See if theres someone has some space on their VPS / dedi they can rent to you.

Hostgator is a real shot in the dark. If you get put on a not-so-busy server, it can be 'ok'.

I like Slavik's idea :)

I'm with MDDHosting and they seem fine, plus their support is awesome. You get a reply in under 5 minutes 99% of the time. You can also speak on webhostingtalk about these issues and since they are the biggest web hosting community site they'll help you get sorted! They were the ones who helped me choose MDDHosting ^^

See if anyone wants to do a VPS share? Or as I have done in the past, I have a dedi server which is underused, and I sold out some space to people. See if theres someone has some space on their VPS / dedi they can rent to you.

That's what I'm doing - sharing a VPS with another member here. We both have plenty of room for both of our forums, blogs, etc.
So yes, that would be my advice as well.

www.asmallorange.com - all I will say. You can get a shared account with WHM access for multiple domains for $25 a month and you won't have any issues.

I used to use them, but never again. Had nothing but problems with ASO. Lot's of regular downtime, plus I could never upload all my site files in one go without their over-the-top server security measures kicking in and causing me FTP time-outs. Which meant I had to always upload site files in stages to avoid that problem happening with them.

And the amount of downtime I keep getting with them was totally unacceptable, especially considering they are not exactly "low budget" on the prices.

Find another host.

Sound to me like you have a good shared host there. You can't argue about paying £50 year, that's a good price. And if your getting 150 concurrent users and still working good I'm impressed by that, because that's pretty dam good for a shared hosting package at any price.

Who you with?

I used to use them, but never again. Had nothing but problems with ASO. Lot's of regular downtime, plus I could never upload all my site files in one go without their over-the-top server security measures kicking in and causing me FTP time-outs. Which meant I had to always upload site files in stages to avoid that problem happening with them.

And the amount of downtime I keep getting with them was totally unacceptable, especially considering they are not exactly "low budget" on the prices.
Well my experiences have been just the opposite and I've been with them for almost a year now across a few accounts and servers.

Top Bottom