Who's taking part in Earth Hour tomorrow?

I had a year where I constantly turned off my lights, and I turned off my computer systems. And unplugged the tv and xbox360 etc to save standby power. And I paid $99 a month and had to pay $450 extra at the end-year bill.

Without getting new hardware, except iMac 24" I have the next year left the lights on for my convenience (i am a night person) and I have left all my systems on, and only put the monitors to auto-sleep mode. And the tv/x360 is now just plugged in. I paid $99 a month, and got $20 back at the end-year bill this February.

I think what the corporate industrial industry is doing is having a much more profound impact than me respecting Earth Day. I support the thought, but .. not going to bother. Sorry.

hmmm I didn't know anything about it. It's not publicized here, that I know of.

That's strange - I think it's been going on for a while. :) There are quite a lot of nations worldwide taking part in it.

I think what the corporate industrial industry is doing is having a much more profound impact than me respecting Earth Day. I support the thought, but .. not going to bother. Sorry.

Well you don't have too ;) I don't think the point is that it makes a profound difference really... I think it's more about raising awareness and getting people to be a bit more aware of wasting energy unneccesarily. :)

hmmm...my kids will be in bed by 8:30 and my girlfriend will be over. Whatever will we do in the dark? :whistle:

Roflol :D Have fun!

For as long as I can remember, I have always switched off appliances, lights and anything else which isn't in use.

We don't have a car, never let the tap run when washing or brushing teeth, take the stairs instead of the elevator (whenever possible), recycle rubbish and donate old furniture, goods and clothes to charity.

I doubt we could do much more really.

I never really got why that concept was created, as it should be added to `Earth Day` events...

I think (WE) needs to save us from ourselves, as the planet can fix its self over time. I guess calling it Human/People/Race Day would not get such a following. I can not skip this day, as I believe that each municipalities within Canada follows this day and turn off the street lights and or building lights....

I will be doing it tonight :) As we have since it's inception here a few years ago.

It's fun, sitting around with candles :) We first did it in Sydney that first ever Earth Hour in 2007, and the atmosphere was fantastic, people out on the streets having fun, there was a very party atmosphere around it... now we live in a very bogan (redneck, chavy) area, so needless to say there is not a lot of people around us who do it. :rolleyes:

One hour offline.. one hour of not consuming, it is a real challenge for a lot of people.

Give it a go :)

That's strange - I think it's been going on for a while. :) There are quite a lot of nations worldwide taking part in it.

I guess it's the same as many people not knowing about World Autism Awareness Day, or the Light It Up Blue campaign. But have been going on for a good 3 or 4 years, and Nations all over the world take part in it. But still some people don't know about it.

I'll do it tonight instead. I usually have my computer and other electronics on doing their own thing (not just wasting electricity but actually doing something I need). However, nothing is urgent right now so I'll unplug everything when I head off to bed. Also, it's a nice concept but I really believe that this one hour thing is just to make people feel better about themselves. If you really want to make a more significant impact instead of making your conscience feel a bit better, do what Brogan does. I've been making small steps to reduce resource consumption when it isn't necessary such as not wasting tap water (or any clean water, I put it in a bottle and then my fridge). I may sound a little harsh but that's just my personality. Sorry. :p

<snip/> If you really want to make a more significant impact instead of making your conscience feel a bit better, do what Brogan does. I've been making small steps to reduce resource consumption when it isn't necessary such as not wasting tap water (or any clean water, I put it in a bottle and then my fridge). I may sound a little harsh but that's just my personality. Sorry. :p

Canadians in general are the worst for consumption... We are going to Solar/Wood Stove (100% burn with water coil). We would like to reuse the snow/rain fall for the bathroom, but here in Edmonton we are not allowed, as they can not charge us for water usage if its not metered....

We already use LED lights and CFl bulb (hope to replace them with 45 w LED... if they can get them that bright enough).

Top Bottom