Who Said Innovation Died With Steve Jobs?

That is the mac or PC choice debate. Not really relevant to this discussion about a specific product. Mac is a premium product supplier, PC isn't. Simple as that. Like buying BMW or Hyundai. Apple isn't going broke, nor is BMW... it's an irrelevant debate about what product you want.
That's your opinion...

But I'd like to point out that a BMW and Hyundai are both cars. Just as an IBM and an Apple are both computers.

In this there is relevance considering it is Apple's goal to gain market share whenever and wherever possible, just as any business wishes to gain the market.

So its not as simple as that, but I'm sure in your opinion it maybe.

I see it as a more of a "mac mini pro" than a "mac pro". The lack of upgradeability and expandability is unacceptable for a professional workstation.
But is that still a concern for a majority of the pro customers. Maybe they prefer the small size over that, and maybe upgrading just isn't that important anymore. Maybe they prefer just upgrading to a newer Pro after a year or two. I don't know, but I bet Apple has considered all this very carefully.

honestly...there is some truth to that...i would have tried out an apple instead of what I have now if it wasn't for the fact that I built a tower with a hexacore i7 and 64gigs of memory for WAY under the cost of a comparable hexacore mac with only 32 gigs of memory, in fact over 2000 dollars less for about double the machine.

Oh well...their problem not mine.

Not their problem at all. Building a machine like that probably represents 2% of the market - and people who build them are likely penny-wise! That's why gateway, dell and many others failed...

The Mac Pro is a tiny part of their sales numbers and profit...and would be so even if it met your specs and mine. I will never spend over $2500 for a desktop because I simply don't need to. Same goes for 99% plus of users.

What percentage of people do you think even know what a hexacore is?

Bottom line is that apple does not want most of the workstation builders. They would like, however, the folks who do a lot of Final Cut Pro video (for example). But even these markets are more for their bragging rights than their profits. The money is in the phones, tablets and apps/music.

@craigiri, true but to make another comparison, I only spent about 600 more than their baseline pro and got moe than 10 times the memory and 3 times the gpu ability and that is what I am trying to point out. For around 800 dollars I could have built a machine that is comparable to the baseline pro, also since I built mine and also do a wee bit of video editing myself I was able to add a card from my old machine for HDMI video capture, if I were to buy this new model I would have to buy an external unit equal to my card which adds another couple hundred dollars for something I shouldn't need to replace. Like I said, the design (the new pro) is an feat from an engineering standpoint (judging from looks at this point) but as was pointed out it is way too much money for a computer that cannot be upgraded whatsoever.

They haven't released price, OR, what and whether upgrades are available or not. Too much speculation on those aspects at this stage versus factual information. Their changes may have decreased price... not increased. Wait and see I guess. iMacs have decreased in price with each new release over the past years... some quite significant. Time will tell.

I'm curious, really. In the sort of workstation environments where a lot of Mac Pros exist - that is, Final Cut Pro video editing suites in companies or colleges - is upgradability really that important? I certainly understand from a prosumer/freelance perspective - upgrades are a vital part of spending as little as possible to get the most bang for your buck. But in my limited experience of people who use Mac Pros for work, they tend to keep them for as long as they function and then replace them. In mission-critical environments, I think Apple's support packages are more important than the ability to upgrade.

Top Bottom