Who now thinks their own site looks old and dated?

Mark.B

Going back to my own site - even with the css rounded corners and shadows I've been adding to vB 3.8 (sorry IE users!) - I can't help feeling it looks dated after spending some time on here.

This feeling is true of any other forum I go on now!

Anyone else feel this?

I'm definitely thinking my sites look old and dated. They're all stuck on vb 3.8.5 ... they need a fresh makeover!

Mark.B Yep! Sucks huh, worked so hard on our sites, spend a day here, go back .. you go: SIGH

I'm definitely thinking my sites look old and dated. They're all stuck on vb 3.8.5 ... they need a fresh makeover!

Indeed.

I've been trying....I have been adding rounded corners and drop shadows to mine and generally trying to make it a bit more web 2.0 - ish, but that will only ever be in appearance and not functionality, and even then it's stretching it.

I think mine looks better than a default 3.8 - I love the 3.8 style but it's just so dated now - but I can't quite get it looking fresh enough.

Actually I don't think my wife's site (I gave her my vB for her site) looks old. It's vB 4.05 and TBH I really like the style I been working on for her. I know people have issues with 4.x's styling but personally I find it pretty easy to work with. No link available as it is locked away in the testvb directory until it is completed.

*grins*
That's like giving your wife the netbook and keeping the macbook pro for yourself :D

Anyone else feel this?
Yep, this is definitely a really shiny and modern layout. I wouldn't be so taken with the shiny and the modern were it not for the staleness of the company behind the software I'm using, vB3. I am also quite interested to know that the minds working on this shiny and modern project are anything but stale.

That said, I could see myself switching to IP.B years from now, but I may even end up switching to XenForo now that I know about it, assuming a converter will be created for vB3 users (or IP.B [version whatever], if I go to that first).

I couldn't face messing with vB4 while all the "issues" were being "sorted" , I have a forum/site in the planning stage and had pretty much decided on the platform and mods for it. Had . Now xenForo is here and well.......... it has rather changed those plans.

I'm one of those who actually likes the vB 4 style...MUCH better than IPB's (the last nice IPB stock skin was in the 1.x era) so don't feel it's outdated at all.

Of course xenforo currently rules them all (both in style and the way javascript is used) but several needed function still missing...if those or similar functions will appear it's going to be harder to find the right balance between simple and crowded skin.

Top Bottom