Who is using a CMS on a live Xenforo site?

sifuhall

I've spent nearly a month testing every CMS I could find that integrates with Xenforo.

None have been a perfect fit, but some come close.

Are you using a CMS integrated with Xenforo on a live site?

What are your thoughts of the CMS and integration and please post a link to your site.

I do not (yet) have the need for this. A few static pages already covers most of what we desire to share with the visitors. We want the focus to be on the community board itself.

Yes, the pages are also very fine for my needs.

I've created a add-on which allows me to link the pages in the navbar, and which adds a comment feature to the pages. (it will also be soon possible to link the pages in a sidebar nav block)

OK there are some things from an real CMS missing, but they will also be possible in some months.

I'm also working on an "real CMS" for xenforo, but it's a "learning by doing" project, which will probably never be released, because as i said already, i can live with the pages as my mini CMS :)

Thanks for the replies, and keep them coming.

I'm afraid my need is for a full cms including workflow, ability to create and modify content types, etc.

I'm using Contao. It's not integrated with Xenforo tho. I really wish it does but the devs don't seem to care much about this feature.
http://ononeanimation.com/

A CMS with similar idea as Contao but with Xenforo integration is SubDreamer. I'm playing around with the demo atm. Very nice simple CMS. Would be ideal to create blogs and smaller, less complicated website. For really big site I still like Contao's features more.

submitted -> reviewed -> published-> in current magazine-> in previous magazine

Articles are submitted by various authors, reviewed by staff and approved or disapproved, approved articles are published and available to viewers, quarterly articles are selected for the magazine from the published group, after appearing in the magazine the article is set to in previous magazine and not eligible to be in an upcoming magazine.

Doing this manually risks human error in to many places.

Using a workflow does not eliminate the risk of human error (for example an article that should not be approved but was) but it does greatly reduce the risk.

Articles are submitted by various authors, reviewed by staff and approved or disapproved, approved articles are published and available to viewers, quarterly articles are selected for the magazine from the published group, after appearing in the magazine the article is set to in previous magazine and not eligible to be in an upcoming magazine.

Doing this manually risks human error in to many places.

Using a workflow does not eliminate the risk of human error (for example an article that should not be approved but was) but it does greatly reduce the risk.
That's exactly, what my (never ending:( )article system does:)

Thanks, ragtek.

Did I read in another post you may not release that?

Also, are you able to define content types and select the appropriate fields?

idea 1
Joomla has a fair number of "Magazine" Article things.
Pair Xenforo up with Joomla (there is an addon).
http://magazine.ijoomla.com/

What does your current magazine look like ?

idea 2
Clarify exactly what xenporta does.
Put a list of suggestion to tweak xenporta with your exact requirements.
Rally a few members to chip in and get him to make what you want.

Note: jaxel did mention he was making an articles thing. It is something that I will be interested in well.

Note: A magazine display is a more specific version than just an articles addon. I know a few articles for vB, but I dont remember seeing a Magazine Mod.

idea 3
ragtek's upcoming articles adddon (Work in Progress).

Hope that helps.

I'm very interested in ragtek's article system as well.

Also, I was not aware a working Joomla integration exists. I'll have to research that.

But workflows are just one of the requirements we have.

Multipage articles are needed as vertical scrolling is only acceptable up to a point.

We will also need the ability to create several content types each having different fields.

For example, articles must require a default image associated with that article.

Other images can, and usually do, appear in the article but each article must have a default image that is used in the layout in the top right of the article, and also appears in the articles summary page (with the other articles) with a brief description of the article.

Another example would be the overview field. This is a summary or highlights field that is displayed as the teaser. We've tried in the past to use the first x characters from the article but it works best to have a separate teaser field.

Regarding creating content types, here are a few we need.

For articles, we will need the fields default image, overview, article, and author info.

For the Who's Who content type we will need the fields default image, overview, and article.

For the Best Sites content type we will need the fields Site Name, URL, overview, and description.

There are others as well but they are similar to these.

Sometimes I wonder why people are so very keen to get a fully blow CMS or Article system installed for using? They require an awful lot of hard work adding long content, much the same way adding long articles on a WordPress Blog is very hard work to do.

Nothing at all like adding short threads on some forum board in comparison. Do people wanting a CMS even stop and take that into full consideration? Or is it just a case of "I want, I want" a CMS, but they'll never finish up using it proper.

Way too many requirements for a Xenforo Addon.
Don't keep thinking something as sophisticated as you are looking for will be a xenforo addon any time soon.
It's not very likely, soon, if ever.
You are definitely looking at either Joomla or Wordpress or a custom addon or a PHP script specializing in a Magazine Article engine.
I'd go the Joomla route.

No, it will never be an add-on I'm sure.

And that's why I'm looking for 3rd party cmses and the purpose of this thread.

Vivvo seems promising, but the test version does not support the Xenforo integration and I'm not willing to buy it just to test the integration.

Drupal was a solid choice and was able to do absolutely everything we needed, however I don't forsee a Drupal bridge in the near future at all.

Good suggestions.

I'm testing Wordpress out now but seem to have an issue connecting from inside of WP to the XF database (also I can't see a guaranteed method of getting the XF user id from inside WP).

I haven't found info about the Joomla integration.

Do you know any links for this?

Top Bottom