Who is going to forumcon 2012?

ekine

The forumcon seems to be interesting for forumadmins. I have never been to a forumcon but I think that it could enrich my perspective about the subject even though I have been running forums since the late 90s.

Have you ever been to a forumcon and did you get some value out of it?
Will any of you guys attend forumcon 2012 in San Francisco?

I went to the one last year. To me it wasn't really worth it because most of the presentations were sales pitches, and/or geared toward beginner forum admins. I really like the idea of an in-person conference for the industry, but the implementation is lacking. Next time you're at their site, see if you can match up the speakers list with the sponsors list, then you'll start to see what I mean.

I went to the one last year. To me it wasn't really worth it because most of the presentations were sales pitches, and/or geared toward beginner forum admins. I really like the idea of an in-person conference for the industry, but the implementation is lacking. Next time you're at their site, see if you can match up the speakers list with the sponsors list, then you'll start to see what I mean.
Of course it's a giant sales pitch... I mean the whole thing is put on by VigLink... do you think they organize it for any reason other than to sling their ad service? :)

If they could have a "trade show" that had no vendors other than VigLink and all you did was listen to their sales pitch, I'm sure they would. heh

Hey all, Anna here w/ VigLink. We are the primary organizers behind the event, but certainly do our best to avoid any type of "selling" in presentation form during the conference. This year, we'll be providing a brief update on a few new things happening at VigLink just before the conference kicks off, but you won't be hearing from us much after that :)

Here's a link to this year's agenda if you'd like to check it out:
http://forumcon.com/images/forumcon-agenda.pdf

The forum community is a small world, so we do on occasion invite speakers back an additional time, but generally to talk on a new topic. And we always have lots of new faces as well. This year we have Kris Jones talking SEO, execs from Vibrant Media, GumGum, CBS Interactive and TechCrunch talking monetization, Internet Brands' CTO talking growth, and lots more.

Looking forward to seeing those of you that are planning on making it out!

Cheers,
Anna

The forumcon seems to be interesting for forumadmins. I have never been to a forumcon but I think that it could enrich my perspective about the subject even though I have been running forums since the late 90s.

I'm going. Been out of running forums for years but getting back in to run a site as a hobby. Some of my old co-workers from the US Web days are lobbying for me to use WordPress and BuddyPress but I'm leaning XenForo. But still gathering info. Second choice is IPBoards as they have the CMS and Gallery built-in. I'm a content person not a coder so having a complete package is nice feature.

So for someone like me, it will likely be useful update on state of the art.

I use Tapatalk and that's how I heard about ForumCon.com (and XenForo) as Tapatalk founder is giving a presentation on mobile. As for the sales pitches, sales pitches from knowledgeable people can be very educational and most are smart about it and keep the info level high and the pitch low.

Plus I can wander over and see how the America's Cup stuff is doing.

$100 to listen to what I can read? Pass.

"I tell you Martha, this radio thing is a fad. No one is going to pay $100 for that crazy device and listen to it when they can just read it in books from the Free Library."

It was only $70, a couple days 'Bucks bill or a XenPorta Add-on.

I'm sure it's more useful for some than for others. I'm interested in what Winter Wong will be talking about. I'm sure I'll pick up a couple useful bit of information from each of the presenters.

If there ain't a live band, food and free stuff involved, I'm not interested.

Edit: Oh I see it's hosted by Viglinks. Lemme check my VigLinks account: $0

Nope, still not interested.

Lets see spend money to go to ForumCon or invest it in my website, better invest it. Everything at ForumCon i can read online just look at whats on the agenda.

vBulletin Press Announcement well will read it on vBulletin forum eventually and the 25 dollars coupon code well big deal.
VigLink update well if its important they will post it on their website to.
SEO stuff plenty on the internet and they all say theirs work etc etc etc

It goes on and on but i haven't seen anything that makes me want to go and say yes that's something i need to hear and see.

You can even watch Adrian Harris's vBulletin talk from last year. LOLOLOL

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is about meeting people personally.
It is about getting paid a business trip from Europe to San Francisco.

Last time I went to CES for 3 days and spent just 3 hours at the venue itself.

Top Bottom