Who Here Uses Waterfox (64-Bit Version of Firefox)

DRE

Yesterday TheVisitors mentioned Waterfox in my 8thos Bar resource discussion thread. I learned that it is a 64 bit verison of Firefox optimized for speed. This morning I installed it because Firefox was crashing a lot and pissing me off. After installing it, it ported over my extensions, addons, visualizations, bookmarks... pretty much everything over from Firefox, minus the crashing. Not only does it not crash, I can tell the difference in speed between Firefox and Waterfox immediately. CNet's review says the difference is not much, but for me, I noticed it right away. http://download.cnet.com/Waterfox-64-Bit/3000-2356_4-75575521.html

Does it work on 32 bit OS?

genius-meme.png

Note: The above was a joke, and don't take it personal. If you do take it personal, please read this phrase again.

Anyhow, I do use Waterfox. I don't even have Firefox anymore :) But mainly Chrome though.

Yesterday TheVisitors mentioned Waterfox in my 8thos Bar resource discussion thread. I learned that it is a 64 bit verison of Firefox optimized for speed. This morning I installed it because Firefox was crashing a lot and pissing me off. After installing it, it ported over my extensions, addons, visualizations, bookmarks... pretty much everything over from Firefox, minus the crashing. Not only does it not crash, I can tell the difference in speed between Firefox and Waterfox immediately. CNet's review says the difference is not much, but for me, I noticed it right away. http://download.cnet.com/Waterfox-64-Bit/3000-2356_4-75575521.html

Our official website is http://waterfoxproject.org/ ;)

The goal is to stick as close as to the original core as possible, but resolve the issues of Firefox with full 64 bit support.

(I do help develop this some)

Hmm, any chance on a .bin or .sh for us Linux users?
The lead developer (not me) is a big fan of Microsoft Windows. It has been brought up, but the point that was delivered to me is that in Linux (Debian or Ubuntu), the issues people have in Firefox for Windows isn't there (and he is right).

I'm posting this right now using Firefox 14 on Ubuntu 12.04 and never have had a single issue. So there really isn't a large need for it.

However, it was never completely ruled out, so maybe one day it could be possible.

Just downloaded it and have been browsing in it for at least 30 minutes. Very nice.

I left FF behind after the constant issues and load times. Ended up with chrome since I can't stand IE.
I may end up using waterfox :)

I have been using Waterfox for a long time and am never going back the crappy plain FF 32 bit now.
I have 60 to 100 tabs open at all times and this doesn't slow down !!

I was just wondering... are there any downsides to using WaterFox compared to FireFox?

Edit: Also, I'm currently using FireFox Portable. Is there any way to use my profile / addons / etc. from FF portable automatically in WaterFox? Google doesn't seem to give any answers (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong), and it doesn't automatically import those for me it's portable.

Anyone who could give me some help with that?

Yes !! you can, just install profile manager and create another PROFILE, then you choose that user profile when installing using Water fox !!
it is quite simple, but you can ask me again and I will answer.
I was just wondering... are there any downsides to using WaterFox compared to FireFox?

Edit: Also, I'm currently using FireFox Portable. Is there any way to use my profile / addons / etc. from FF portable automatically in WaterFox? Google doesn't seem to give any answers (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong), and it doesn't automatically import those for me it's portable.

I have been using Waterfox for a long time and am never going back the crappy plain FF 32 bit now.
I have 60 to 100 tabs open at all times and this doesn't slow down !!
LOL I thought i was one of the few who did this. I have at least 20 tabs open at any time. Got too many things to check to close a window >.< You beat me out on the number of tabs>.>

Waterfox has 1 noticeable difference "neutral" difference.... I say neutral because some people see it as a plus and others a neg.

It does not always auto update as normal firefox does. Sometimes it will report that it is current even when there is an update. It is the only thing we've not weeded out. If you can live with that.... Then Waterfox is all plus for you.

This also happens to normal firefox as well. Something that seems to affect both.

FYI: Yes, you can manually update though.

Hey The Visitors can you please tell me how to browse a site under a proxy with Waterfox? I didn't even know how to do that in Firefox but it's probably the same.

Top Bottom