Who has converted to Invision power to Xenforo?

I want to move my sites away from Invision Power. I read the FAQ and understand that I can covert my forum and gallery to Xen and it all seems good.
My question is, who has migrated from Invision to Xen and how do you like it?

Just did ours last month. There were (and still are) some issues afterwards. We converted from version 4.5.4.
  • There is no available clubs imports. However I do 100% recommend @truonglv [TL] Social Groups as a replacement. It has categories that work and use permissions, among other things. In our user's opinions, even though we could not convert Invision clubs, the new Groups addon is much better.
  • The conversion cannot and will not work with content hosted on an s3. Yoh have to be able to move these onto your server or do the conversion on a localhost machine. Be careful when doing the gallery conversion on localhost with XAMPP, as we were getting "incorrect srgb values" which caused skips in converting content.
  • The conversion did not import followers/following, or Ignored users.
  • If you are using Subscriptions, these are not carried over. Users that are currently subscribed are given the subscription groups permanently. There is a fix thanks to the find users with criteria and mass update features of xF, but still a small hassle.
  • If you are using IP.Blogs, the only alternatives are @Bob User Blog System (UBS) or Article Management System (AMS). We got both and love them. They're feature rich and again have categories that can be assigned permissions, and Bob provides amazing support.
  • In relation to imports, we recommend @MySiteGuy who did our imports for Blogs.
  • If you have Pages from Invision, these are not converted. You'll have to rebuild these with the Page type node (located under Forums in the admin CP on xF). While not as robust as Invision's, it gets the job done.
There are a few addons I can also recommend, if you would like.

Edit: even with all of the above, we are loving XenForo. Its allowed us to accomplish what our users were aiming for (such as a full on twitter-like Block system thanks to @AddonFlare addons.)

My question is, who has migrated from Invision to Xen and how do you like it?
I just had mine imported a couple of days ago and had troubles importing smilies of my own smilie set.
If you use custom upload directory's for avatars, even inside the /uploads directory, they seem not to get imported either.

Everything is based on registered usergroups. Custom usergroups will be imported but users will be in the main registered group.
Users who have a custom usergroup as primary you have to set to registered and the custom group as secondary to make best use of the permission system of Xenforo.

It all can take some work, but the convertor gets updated and even while IPB is easier to do things with permissions (and overview), pages and menu and blocks, I really think changing to Xen will be worth while. And it can do the same (or better) just in a different way. And has special featurs like webp support and some other things.

If you are using Subscriptions, these are not carried over. Users that are currently subscribed are given the subscription groups permanently. There is a fix thanks to the find users with criteria and mass update features of xF, but still a small hassle.
Can you help me with this or point out the thread about this? Because I didn't know this one yet and would like to see if I got this issue and fix it.

I just had mine imported a couple of days ago and had troubles importing smilies of my own smilie set.
If you use custom upload directory's for avatars, even inside the /uploads directory, they seem not to get imported either.

Everything is based on registered usergroups. Custom usergroups will be imported but users will be in the main registered group.
Users who have a custom usergroup as primary you have to set to registered and the custom group as secondary to make best use of the permission system of Xenforo.

It all can take some work, but the convertor gets updated and even while IPB is easier to do things with permissions (and overview), pages and menu and blocks, I really think changing to Xen will be worth while. And it can do the same (or better) just in a different way. And has special featurs like webp support and some other things.

Can you help me with this or point out the thread about this? Because I didn't know this one yet and would like to see if I got this issue and fix it
Just did ours last month. There were (and still are) some issues afterwards. We converted from version 4.5.4.
  • There is no available clubs imports. However I do 100% recommend @truonglv [TL] Social Groups as a replacement. It has categories that work and use permissions, among other things. In our user's opinions, even though we could not convert Invision clubs, the new Groups addon is much better.
  • The conversion cannot and will not work with content hosted on an s3. Yoh have to be able to move these onto your server or do the conversion on a localhost machine. Be careful when doing the gallery conversion on localhost with XAMPP, as we were getting "incorrect srgb values" which caused skips in converting content.
  • The conversion did not import followers/following, or Ignored users.
  • If you are using Subscriptions, these are not carried over. Users that are currently subscribed are given the subscription groups permanently. There is a fix thanks to the find users with criteria and mass update features of xF, but still a small hassle.
  • If you are using IP.Blogs, the only alternatives are @Bob User Blog System (UBS) or Article Management System (AMS). We got both and love them. They're feature rich and again have categories that can be assigned permissions, and Bob provides amazing support.
  • In relation to imports, we recommend @MySiteGuy who did our imports for Blogs.
  • If you have Pages from Invision, these are not converted. You'll have to rebuild these with the Page type node (located under Forums in the admin CP on xF). While not as robust as Invision's, it gets the job done.
There are a few addons I can also recommend, if you would like.

Edit: even with all of the above, we are loving XenForo. Its allowed us to accomplish what our users were aiming for (such as a full on twitter-like Block system thanks to @AddonFlare addons.)
Thanks for the post with tips as it will be very helpful to me. The community here seems more vibrant here and I don't see Invision enticing more developers to their platform. I've also been reading so many positive comments about XenForo in general terms.

I've just moved my site from IPB, its literally in transition this weekend. Users love it, they find it so much easier to use
The moderation aspects are a lot more useful and having moved forums/gallery/resources/subscriptions/classifieds I'm yet to find a useful feature missing, whilst I have found some useful additional features.

Can you help me with this or point out the thread about this? Because I didn't know this one yet and would like to see if I got this issue and fix it.
Haven't made a thread about this yet, just found it earlier today. Some users subscription times should have expired, yet they retained their Subscriber member roles, and nothing shows in Xenforo's admin panel. I had to manually remove subscription status from them, and then direct them to the new Subscription options in the user area.

Haven't made a thread about this yet, just found it earlier today. Some users subscription times should have expired, yet they retained their Subscriber member roles, and nothing shows in Xenforo's admin panel. I had to manually remove subscription status from them, and then direct them to the new Subscription options in the user area.
When I looked into this I found the fault was in IPB.
Basically if I was to search for a member and use memberview in the ACP their subscription would be under their avatar/username/email/join date
If it was active it would be a mouseover link that you would click through to see the expiry date.
If it was stuck, it would still display but not have a mouseover link
I would then use the recent account activity to ensure they had renewed following invoicing.

As a result I would see many expired accounts apparently with active subscriptions within IPB itself.

The fixed it in vB so just report as bug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom