Which web server package does better for VPS hosting and xenForo and newbie?

msibm

I want to purchase a VPS hosting for running the forum by xenForo. I'm a newbie for web server and have little time to manage the website. Which web server package is safe and smooth learning curving to manage?
Thanks!

Centminmod is great for people not so experienced to quickly get set up. Otherwise, may want to contact a sysadmin or if you do it yourself do what you do.

I use Linode, best solution for VPS' in my experience. RN is eh, DO is ew.

Really? I think not anymore now since they are always down for a month due to massive DDOS attacks.
One week, and that can happen to anyone. They attached routers where they colo, easily done to DO too. RN isn't even credible.

One week, and that can happen to anyone. They attached routers where they colo, easily done to DO too. RN isn't even credible.
2-3 weeks.
They been hit since Christmas.

That can't be happen with Ramnode since they have DDOS protection on their own.

I still use Linode, I still have 5 or more servers running with them.
But I already lost my trust with them, so I can't recommend them for now.

I still use Linode, I still have 5 or more servers running with them.
But I already lost my trust with them, so I can't recommend them for now.

As much as no one can recommend them right now. Fact is I've seen entire data centers fall to their knees affecting thousands of clients not some moderate sized client like Linode. Internap took hits upwards of 100 Gbps to several data centers on a daily basis from some kid in Cali. There was nothing any hosting company using Internap could do about it. The majority of affected clients weren't even targets. Linodes problem seems like a minor annoyance in comparison. An expensive one for them and all their clients but when it comes down to it there is only so much they can do.

As much as no one can recommend them right now. Fact is I've seen entire data centers fall to their knees affecting thousands of clients not some moderate sized client like Linode. Internap took hits upwards of 100 Gbps to several data centers on a daily basis from some kid in Cali. There was nothing any hosting company using Internap could do about it. The majority of affected clients weren't even targets. Linodes problem seems like a minor annoyance in comparison. An expensive one for them and all their clients but when it comes down to it there is only so much they can do.

It should never take 2+ weeks to recover from something like that. I'm sure Linode isn't sitting on their thumbs, as they're losing tons of business from this, but at the same time, the datacenter really can't mitigate something like this? 100 Gbps (I realize we're talking two different companies here...nobody has said the size of the Linode attack yet, as far as I know) should be nothing for a quality datacenter to handle, even without any sort of specialized DDoS protection in place. That's just normal everyday traffic. If a datacenter can't push 100 Gbps of traffic at once, it's time to get the heck out, as they likely don't have a whole lot of capacity. I've taken 100+ Gbps attacks on single servers without any issue (DDoS protection, of course). For an entire datacenter to not be able to handle that kind of traffic, is honestly unfathomable.

I have used Ramnode in past. Reliable and fast. Never needed support, so not sure about their support. But had no issues in 3 years or so. Was using them since they started. Now they even have multi location. Look for coupon code on WHT forums. It will offer 30% discount or so.

I use Linode, best solution for VPS' in my experience. RN is eh, DO is ew.
How's their down time working out for you? ;)
It could happen to anyone I know.. I just found it funny that during this time of DDOS attack they'd be commented on as being the "best solution". :D

2-3 weeks.
They been hit since Christmas.

That can't be happen with Ramnode since they have DDOS protection on their own.
I find this comment absurd, to be honest.

RamNode is much smaller of a company and not really professional at all. If they were hit by a hard enough attack right to their DCs, it would flood their routers and ultimately cause global blackouts in that DC. Fortunately, InterNAP have high levels of protection, and they're also extremely professional and towards the higher end. I'd go with INAP any time of the week, they're a personal favourite, and they're also expensive. I don't see this guy wanting to pay a fortune, just my guess.

Linode colocate, just like DO do. They got hit hard enough and their routers are flooded.

You can't exactly mitigate these attacks. The DC should seek emergency professional assistance to filter data better temporarily so the routers aren't flooded. Unfortunately, they can't tell the DC what to do. If they own the routers and a lot of the MM hardware and devices too, they could try and implement that. However, you can't simply press 'mitigate' and stop huge attacks. Anything is prone to attacks, even Google. They probably get hit every second, but they're well mitigated and if one goes through I presume the server is nulled and another takes over from their huge pool.

I mean, you can't blame Linode for all of this. I've been a customer for a while and this is personally the first semi-outage I've had. My servers weren't down, just very slow.

They've still got my business, and I still recommend them. I'm a bit surprised you suggest RamNode to be the superior alternative here.

Also, my location with Linode was affected for 1wk. Atlanta was affected the most. Linode, furthermore, said that they have made cases with multiple federal law enforcement agencies and will share any results. I mean, they're doing all they can do. I bet we couldn't do any better.

Based on experience, YES.
I've use a lot of VPS provider.
Linode and Ramnode are my top choice.
I've used a lot too. Despite the incapability of DigitalOcean techs with random problems, I'd rather use them than RamNode, tbh. You'd figure out why soon enough.

I talking here about the speed and reliability of their server (SSD, CPU, Network).
Never mind about support thing.

DigitalOcean has way too slower CPU and SSD Speed.

I talking here about the speed and reliability of their server (SSD, CPU, Network).
Never mind about support thing.

DigitalOcean has way too slower CPU and SSD Speed.
As am I, multiple disk corruptions on DO randomly throughout many droplets and support couldn't address it. Performance was slow with a slow network.

RamNode colos, so kudos to the DC for a decent network. I believe they colo'd Choopa last I checked. They have old SSDs afaik and I don't know about the CPUs. The reliability is pretty slow and your data's privacy is low, as well.

Edit: This is all off topic, though. Doesn't help the OP. Make a new thread or something if you want to discuss this.

Top Bottom