1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of my forum ad setups is better for user experience?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Well-Known Member

EDIT: I've changed the ads at the links below, so the original question no longer applies.

Please compare the ad setup on Page A:

to the one on Page B:

Both pages have ads in the footer. The difference is that Page B has two medium rectangles in a sidebar to the right without any ads between the posts, while Page A has responsive ads in between the posts without any sidebar to the right.

Both are adequate for revenue. Which setup is better for user experience?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I prefer 1 on sidebar top, 1 on first post, and the most earning location, above thread / below navigation.
  3. Amin Sabet

For me that's too many. Do you have a preference between the two I posted? Not from a revenue standpoint but from a user standpoint?
  4. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Page A.
    Amin Sabet likes this.
  5. Amin Sabet

Thanks, @RoldanLT

I am trying out FORUMCAST but having a hard time making medium rectangles work on my site.

FORUMCAST aside, I always have a dilemma about whether to use an ad above the thread vs below the first post on the page. I think using both positions together makes a page look bad.

Regarding the above the thread (ad_thread_view_above_messages) location:
    • In my opinion, this is the better of the two positions for user experience, because it doesn't interrupt the discussion right after it gets started. I don't mind showing an ad here to my members.
    • Google says that a 300x250 ad above the content is bad for user experience on mobile and is an Adsense violation (source).
    • It's probably the best earning position for a 728x90 ad in a discussion thread, which IMO is the nicest looking ad type for a forum thread in desktop view (considering only the sizes which earn well).

Regarding the below first post on the page location:
    • It is probably the better of the two positions for SEO because the ad comes before any content.
    • Presumably, one can use a 300x250 ad here on mobile without penalty.
    • I would only show an ad here to guests as it's a bit of an eyesore for members IMO.
  6. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

Talkemount is better. I think you'd have better results inserting ads into posts rather than under posts, though.
    Amin Sabet likes this.