Which iMac to buy ?

There is no "Apple tax." Macs are priced in the same range as comparably-equipped PCs. It's just that Apple, by and large, doesn't play in the low-end markets. Closest thing is the Mac mini at $499 US.

The 27-inch iMac is in a class by itself. Price out a high-caliber 5K (not 4K) display of the same size, add a computer of similar capability to even the cheapest iMac 5K, and the PC doesn't come close.

I think i will buy the 21.5 inch with fusion drive or 4k without fusion drive.
I can spend 1500 euros for my new computer.
But it's sadly that the 4k only comes with 5400 rpm hdd which is slow.

I'd say go for the rMBPs. I do quite like the 5K iMac but I like portability... I love portability. I move around a lot, in the house and out.

OS X El Capitan here. rMBP, 15 inch. 16G memory with Intel Iris graphics. And the serial number... oh wait...

But yeah, rMBPs are really good tools for entertainment and work combined.

There is no "Apple tax." Macs are priced in the same range as comparably-equipped PCs. It's just that Apple, by and large, doesn't play in the low-end markets. Closest thing is the Mac mini at $499 US.

The 27-inch iMac is in a class by itself. Price out a high-caliber 5K (not 4K) display of the same size, add a computer of similar capability to even the cheapest iMac 5K, and the PC doesn't come close.
That depends on where you buy it. In Estonia, where I live, Macs are very badly overpriced. PC with similar equipment can be bought for 1.5 times less. My sister in Germany recently bought MacBook for much less than it costs here, but still way more than in US.

I can see your point for 5k iMacs, but that's because displays from other manufacturers are also overpriced. They milk customers because 5k is a new thing and there is very little competition.

That "tax" didn't stop me from buying 3 iMacs over last years and I'll keep buying them. OSX > Windows any day.

I am slowly entering the world of Apple.

I bought my first iPhone in November and I fell in love with it. Now I want a MacBook laptop, but if I got one, I'd want the best one. A little too pricey me right now.

I did have an old second hand iMac that my brother gave me a few years back. I tried using it a couple times but it ended up sitting in the closet collecting dust for a couple years until I eventually donated it to a local thrift store. There was a few educational games on there that a kid might like I suppose.

image.webp

I'm thinking about turning my current PC into a Hackintosh after I get the parts in for my new PC on Monday. I have to buy more ram and another SSD or HDD for it though as the ram and all of my ssd's and hdds will be going to the new computer. I'll also probably run it off of the intel graphics as my 980ti is also going to the new pc lol.

Hello,

I built a Hackintosh with Gtx 960 4 Gb I5 4690k and 8 GB of Ram.

Runs smooth and fast better than iMac.

I also used SSD to make it faster.

I want to replace the Display with 4K or 5K.

Regards

I'm thinking about turning my current PC into a Hackintosh after I get the parts in for my new PC on Monday. I have to buy more ram and another SSD or HDD for it though as the ram and all of my ssd's and hdds will be going to the new computer. I'll also probably run it off of the intel graphics as my 980ti is also going to the new pc lol.

Wait for GTX 1080 it will be better.

Hello,

I built a Hackintosh with Gtx 960 4 Gb I5 4690k and 8 GB of Ram.

Runs smooth and fast better than iMac.

I also used SSD to make it faster.

I want to replace the Display with 4K or 5K.

Regards
Runs better than an iMac?

Right, sure.

What about this configuration?

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 4.23.00 PM.webp

As to a 5K display, it's not so easy to set those up. Does your graphics card have the guts to handle it? Do you have the right connectors?

Taking the argument to a realistic place since most PCs are not all in one's or available with a 4K display. For years their entire laptop lineup was priced well over a comparable PC. The only differences in the plastic chassied lineups where things like magnetic power cables or hard drive drop sensors. It never made much sense for someone pinching pennies. Especially when hard drive manufacturers introduced drop sensors a couple of months after (only to cause problems when put into said macbooks). Back in 2009 I could spend 1000 on last year's stripped down gaming laptop with twice the GPU power for my 3d rendering than a macbooks costing twice that. Do you see where that was an issue for people trying to get something done?

However Apple did jump on the high resolutions displays before anyone and probably still lead the all in one market in that sector.

Top Bottom